Manage episode 196088622 series 1404994
Welcome to PsychEd, the psychiatry podcast for medical learners, by medical learners. This episode covers Schizophrenia, which guest speakers Dr. Jason Joannou and Dr. Andy Lustig from the CAMH inpatient psychiatry unit.
In this episode we discuss schizophrenia, with the following objectives:
1. The DSM V diagnostic criteria of schizophrenia
2. The impact of the disease and its trajectory
3. The differential diagnosis of schizophrenia
4. Clinical approach to patients with schizophrenia
5. The Mental Health Act and involuntary admission
By the end of this episode, the listener will be able to…
1. Know the DSM V diagnostic criteria of schizophrenia and specific manifestations of the disease
2. Know some of the epidemiology, triggers and impact of the disease
3. Know the differential diagnosis of schizophrenia and its subtypes
4. Know how to elicit a good history and how to approach patients with schizophrenia
5. Know the Mental Health Act and the legalities around forming a patient with schizophrenia.
The perspectives we have elicited in this episode are from inpatient psychiatrists who generally tend to see more severe cases of schizophrenia.
CPA Note: The content of this podcast are created for medical Learners by medical learners. The views expressed in this podcast do not necessarily reflect those of the Canadian Psychiatric Association.
For more PsychEd, follow us on Twitter @psychedpodcast, and subscribe to us at our website: psychedpodcast.org.
15 episodes available. A new episode about every 57 days averaging 42 mins duration .