Manage episode 298003647 series 2781367
In today's episode and Emily's final taping before maternity leave, she brings a wide-ranging discussion on capital punishment. We ravel out many thoughts on the nature of justice and the Foucaultian concepts of the monastic cell in our modern culture. We ask questions about whether we are choosing to follow the model of Jesus or the Bible itself when they appear to be at odds regarding capital punishment and the rights to life and death.
Mentioned in the episode:
- Matthew 5:38-48 - An Eye for Eye
- Romans 13:1-7 - Respecting Authorities
- Executing Grace by Shane Claiborne
- Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson
- Discipline and Punish by Michel Foucault
- The Sword of Damocles
- A Walk Through The Complex blog
- Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Decides by Sheldon Ekland-Olson
- Philippians 2:5-11 - Equality with God Not Grasped
Follow the hosts on Twitter:
Ravel is a proud founding member of the Highline Media Network, bringing the art of podcasting back to normal people in normal places.