Manage episode 233849122 series 2347171
- TRUTHS OF A GOSPEL-CENTERED MARRIAGE
- You’re marrying an image-bearer (Gen 1 & James 3)
- You married not a finished product but a work in progress, and YOU are also a work in progress.
- Phil 1:6, 2 Cor 4:16, Romans 8.
- Marriage is all three:
- Back – to – back
- Side by side (CS Lewis)
- Face to face
- Out of reverence for Jesus, submit to one-another (Ephesians 5).
- Love God more than you love each other.
10 MOST COMMON “ISSUES” IN MARRIAGE
1. Most spouses refuse to see themselves as the biggest problem in their marriage.
- The purpose of marriage is to fulfill me and make me
- Marriage shouldn’t be hard work if we are truly “meant” for one another and we have feelings of love for each other.
- If I am diligent to meet my spouse’s needs, all my needs will be met by my spouse.
- Communication styles of men and women are SO different; it is a cross-cultural communication experience when husbands and wives talk to each other.
- A healthy marriage is all three: Back-to-back, side-by-side, face-to-face.
- Spouses are going to fight, but they don’t fight well.
- One of the biggest problems with the Church in America is the number of sexually active singles and sexually celibate marrieds.
- Balancing parenting with the genuine needs of the parents.
- Married couples rarely spend enough time talking about what the future might look like ... dreaming, budgeting, planning, brainstorming, & encouraging each other.
1) The meaning of marriage - Timothy Keller
2) Theories of human communication - Stephen W. Little John