Renegade Radio with Jay Ferruggia: Fitness | Nutrition | Lifestyle | Strength Training | Self Help | Motivation
#254: How to Train for Gains and Longevity with Fitness Expert, John Alvino
Manage episode 214626371 series 2394722
In this episode of the #RenegadeRadioPodcast I sat down with my longtime friend, John Alvino. John is one of the most respected and knowledgeable strength and conditioning coaches in the fitness industry. He is also a successful fitness writer, a former competitive bodybuilder, and a veteran of the iron game.
We discuss the crazy stuff we used to do in the gym, all for the sake of gaining muscle, and how our training has evolved over the years. John provides some great tips for preventing injuries and enhancing your performance in the gym. He gives valuable advice for anyone who wants to succeed as a fitness coach, explains the difference between how he trains clients now versus back in the day, and much more.
If you want to learn an approach to training and business that will help you achieve more success with both you don’t want to miss this episode. Listen as we discuss:
- A look back at the crazy sh*t John and I used to do in the gym and how our training has evolved over the years. [3:44]
- How does he decide what exercises to use in his own training and in the programs he prescribes to his clients? [11:57]
- What are the most effective warm up exercises to do before upper body training? [19:54]
- The ONE exercise he says is crucial before doing any heavy squats. [21:34]
- The differences between how John trained people in the 90’s versus today. [24:54]
- What you must do now to make your business better if you’re a trainer. [28:24]
- How to create long lasting relationships and become the highest performer in the gym. [34:44]
- What struggles has John had to overcome to build a successful business? [39:57]
- How are John’s priorities different today than they were in the past? [43:44]
- The power of the mind in all aspects of your life. [47:44]
This episode is brought to you by Athletic Greens. With 75 ingredients working together to help with eleven different areas of health, there is no better all-in-one supplement than Athletic Greens. Detoxify your body, boost your energy, and strengthen your immune system.
Get all your vital nutrition in 30 seconds or less by going to www.AthleticGreens.com/Jay to claim your Renegade Radio special offer.
This episode is also brought to you by Cured Nutrition. CBD is a game changer when it comes to reducing inflammation and improving sleep quality. Cured Nutrition makes CBD-infused products from Colorado-grown organic hemp. Their spices and nut-based cookie dough are delicious and so easy to incorporate into any well-rounded health and fitness program. For deep relaxation and ultimate recovery try their concentrated oils and gel caps.
Visit www.CuredNutrition.com and use the coupon code, “JAY” for a 15% discount.
299 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 64 mins duration .