Renegade Radio with Jay Ferruggia: Fitness | Nutrition | Lifestyle | Strength Training | Self Help | Motivation
#272: Obstacle Course Racing, Eating, and Training with Hunter McIntyre
Manage episode 222827462 series 2394722
Hunter McIntyre is not only one of the most accomplished endurance athletes in the world, but he also has the kind of physique that almost every red-blooded man on earth would love to have.
However, his story doesn’t begin with success and a jacked body.
After years of hard partying and run-ins with the law left him with nothing but a boatload of heartache and unfilled potential, Hunter found himself participating in a Spartan Race on a whim.
Still hungover from the night before, he finished only 8 minutes behind world champion, Hobie Call. Obstacle Course Racing instantly became the catalyst to the change he needed in his life.
Now known as “The Sheriff,” Hunter has become a dominate force on the OCR circuit. He’s a champion of Stone Cold Steven Austin’s Broken Skull Challenge and an Elite Spartan Athlete.
In this special episode of Renegade Radio, co-hosted by my good friend and world-renowned strength and conditioning coach, Joe Defranco, Hunter shares his story and secrets to success.
From his intense training regimen to his unconventional approach to nutrition, he details the methods and mindset that have helped him pummel his competition and become a champion.
Listen as we discuss:
- Why he has decided to pursue his passion for the iron. [8:45]
- His colorful past and superhero origin story. [9:43]
- “Work hard and you become hard.” How hitting rock bottom and going to rehab led to his new life. [13:01]
- How his training has evolved in his pursuit to be a well-balanced athlete. [17:46]
- What does a typical week of training look like now? [22:07]
- How many hours does he train per day and what does a high intensity workout look like? [24:08]
- Has he sustained any serious Injuries doing OCR? [27:20]
- How he manages to break the “rules” of nutrition and still stay ripped. [28:21]
- What methods does he use to recover from brutal races and high intensity training? [30:06]
- How to use social media “like a battleship”. [33:05]
- What mindset do you need to become successful at OCR? [34:24]
- Great resources to help you build a stronger mindset. [36:22]
This episode is brought to you by Cured Nutrition. CBD is a game changer when it comes to reducing inflammation and improving sleep quality. Cured Nutrition makes CBD-infused products from Colorado-grown organic hemp. Their spices and nut-based cookie dough are delicious and so easy to incorporate into any well-rounded health and fitness program. For deep relaxation and ultimate recovery try their concentrated oils and gel caps.
Visit www.CuredNutrition.com and use the coupon code, “JAY” for a 15% discount.
This episode is also brought to you by Audio Books.
Go to www.AudioBooks.com/Jay to start listening to critically-acclaimed, best-selling audiobooks including some of my favorites like Essentialism, How to Win Friends & Influence People and The Art of Noncomformity!
With Audiobooks you can learn and generate new ideas anywhere, anytime.
- Download or stream audiobooks on your smartphone or tablet with our free apps for iOS and Android
- Choose from more than 100,000 titles, including top-rated business books written by leaders and innovators in the field
- Listen to your first audiobook for FREE and if you like the service, enjoy a new book every month
- Access our Member Deals section where you can take advantage of great bundles and BOGOs
Go here to get your FREE book: www.AudioBooks.com/Jay