Renegade Radio with Jay Ferruggia: Fitness | Nutrition | Lifestyle | Strength Training | Self Help | Motivation
#264: How to Build Good Habits and Break Bad Ones with James Clear
Manage episode 219083267 series 40307
Everyone wants to get better. We want to do, have and be more.
But how can you ensure that you achieve your goals and make your dreams a reality instead of remaining stuck like so many people do?
It all comes down to your habits.
Your habits determine your actions and your actions determine your results.
Through years of researching, studying and writing, James Clear has become one of the world’s leading experts in habits. He has discovered the most effective and simple ways to create habits for success and how to overcome the bad habits that hold people back.
His new book, “Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits and Break Bad Ones,” provides a proven framework for improving every day.
If you want to be happy, healthy, successful and fulfilled you must learn how to create the right habits and eliminate the bad ones. To learn how, listen as we discuss:
- What motivated James to become an expert on habits? [11:31]
- Is making small changes over time more effective than trying to achieve rapid growth? [15:29]
- How does the “2 Minute Rule” help you establish new habits? [19:09]
- How “The Goldie Locks Rule” and “The 4th Law of Behavior Change” can help you create habits that last. [25:22]
- Are your habits largely determined by your identity? [28:32]
- Why there needs to be some alignment between your identity and your actions. [32:51]
- Should you focus on building only one new habit at a time? [34:44]
- Are your automatic habits (the ones you don’t even think about) determining the results you’re getting in life? [37:38]
- How your physical environment influences your habits. [42:34]
- What can you do to break your bad habits? [45:02]
- Simplicity, focus and the “seasons” of your life: why they’re all important factors for improvement. [52:18]
- How to use the “25/5 Rule” to prioritize your goals, tasks and objectives. [54:06]
- Is redesigning your environment more effective than using willpower? [57:12]
- How your tribe influences the habits you create and your ability to stick to them. [58:37]
- How to use stories and examples to become a better writer. [1:01:37]
- Why he decided to hire a fitness coach after 20 + years of training. [1:08:03]
This episode is brought to you by Cured Nutrition. CBD is a game changer when it comes to reducing inflammation and improving sleep quality. Cured Nutrition makes CBD-infused products from Colorado-grown organic hemp. Their spices and nut-based cookie dough are delicious and so easy to incorporate into any well-rounded health and fitness program. For deep relaxation and ultimate recovery try their concentrated oils and gel caps.
Visit www.CuredNutrition.com and use the coupon code, “JAY” for a 15% discount.
This episode is also brought to you by Four Sigmatic. I use it daily for better focus, improved workouts, and deeper sleep. Four Sigmatic is gut friendly and contains less than half the caffeine of regular coffee.
Go to www.FourSigmatic.com/Jay and use the code JAY to get 15% discount.
300 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 64 mins duration .