Renegade Radio with Jay Ferruggia: Fitness | Nutrition | Lifestyle | Strength Training | Self Help | Motivation
#315: A Masterclass in Training with Matt Wenning
Manage episode 246305593 series 40307
If you want to know how to get brutally strong while keeping your body feeling great, this episode with Matt Wenning is for you.
Matt is a beast and one of the most knowledgeable trainers on the planet.
He owns three world records in powerlifting, a bunch of state and national records, and an equipped total of 2,665 pounds. He works with US Army Infantry and Ranger Divisions on strength, conditioning and wellness and has over 10,000 hours experience training elite athletes from the NFL, Divison-1 college sports and Olympic Competitors.
Listen as we discuss:
- His background, introduction to powerlifting and journey to strength & conditioning coach. [6:00]
- Do you need to get faster to get stronger? [10:13]
- The 3 tiers needed to be a successful coach. [16:07]
- Why you MUST base your percentages on what you can do ALL THE TIME. [19:38]
- His training methods for ultimate longevity and performance in the gym. [29:20]
- Building and optimizing the 4-day a week workout cycle. [37:50]
- The max effort range for the average aging lifter. [42:40]
- The optimum warmup routine to maximize your workout and avoid injury. [46:10]
- Why the core lift decides what happens next in the workout. [50:26]
- His dynamic lower body method for the average lifter. [54:59]
- How to get the most out of the max-effort method. [57:55]
- What recovery methods does he implement post-workout? [1:01:59]
- Why he is a huge anti-stimulant advocate. [1:08:52]
- How he uses food as fuel process more than a taste process. [1:12:30]
- Why is there no replacement for quality food. [1:16:19]
- The importance of having the right mentality when it comes to your nutrition and training. [1:17:37]
- Is Matt against overhead training? [1:20:25]
- What are his thoughts on mobility work? [1:26:35]
- The equipment and programs he designed for the ultimate athlete. [1:29:38]
- What is his opinion on scapular positioning on pressing exercises? [1:36:31]
This episode is brought to you by BiOptimizers. kApex is THE most affordable, highly effective way to supercharge your transformation, shed excess weight, and gives you focused energy and drive for 6-10 hours.
Go to https://www.kenergize.com/jay to order yours and receive 20% off your order with the coupon code JAY20.