Manage episode 167004000 series 129769
Our brains produce new brain cells throughout our entire lives through a process called neurogenesis, and in this podcast, Dr. Brant Cortright is going to share what this means for our brain health and how we can enhance the way our brains operate. Dr. Cortright is a clinical psychologist and Professor of Psychology at California Institute of Integral Studies, specializing in cutting-edge brain health and neuroscience-informed depth therapy.
When we increase the rate of neurogenesis, we see things like improved cognitive function, better memory, less stress, more energy and increased immune health. When we decrease the rate of neurogenesis, however, we see the opposite: poor cognition and memory, increased stress and anxiety and decreased immune health. In this interview, Dr. Cortright discusses the diet and lifestyle components — which mirror the ReWilding diet and lifestyle — that are crucial for your neural development. He shares some interesting information on sleep, and we also get into the effects of substances like caffeine, cannabis and mushrooms on brain health. Tune in for a fascinating discussion — rich with actionable information — that can help improve the functioning of your human animal!
*There is a bit of background noise in parts of this interview that we were unable to edit out. Apologies for the less than excellent sound quality in this episode! We feel the content more than makes up for it (;EPISODE BREAKDOWN:
- Daniel shares on:
- Podcast updates
- Feasting with Maine community on Thanksgiving
- Hunting and gathering with a partner
- Strategic planning for 2017 hunting & gathering
- Daniel answers your questions on:
- Inflammation caused by down comforters
- Eating parasites
- Eating raw eggs from fresh water fish
- What is neurogenesis?
- The optimal diet for neurogenesis
- How much DHA should you be getting per day?
- Best DHA-rich foods
- The “heart healthy” vegetable oil myth
- Crucial foods for neural development
- Best exercise for neurogenesis
- Caffeine and neurogenesis
- Cannabis, mushrooms and neurogenesis
- The importance of sleep for optimal cognitive functioning
- An interesting occurrence in the last few hours of sleep
- Mindfulness and meditation
- Blending the natural and modern world
- Dr. Cortright's prognosis for the future of the human species
- Where to find Dr. Cortright's work
178 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 97 mins duration .