Manage episode 177881908 series 129769
The ocean has long been a source of sustenance, inspiration and adventure for Kimi Werner. Free diving to the ocean floor on a single breath to catch each day’s meal, Kimi is intimately connected with her local ecosystem. Her passion for spearfishing and ocean ecology has led her to be a heart-driven voice for conscientious hunting and conservation.
Growing up off the grid in an isolated part of coastal Maui, Kimi was introduced to spearfishing by her father, who freedove for her family’s primary food source. Discovering her passion for free diving later in life, she went on to become the U.S. National Spearfishing Champion.
While there are many complexities to identifying as a hunter, Kimi believes that conscientious hunting is a meaningful way to have true connection to where our food comes from. We discuss this, as well as the role hunters play in restoring the earth back to balance. For those who are interested in the more tactical, day-to-day elements of Kimi’s spearfishing practice, you’ll enjoy hearing Kimi break down her spearfishing kit, the fish to table process, her favorite smoker grill and more!EPISODE BREAKDOWN:
- Show Introduction:
- Kim Anami’s Coming Together 10-week Salon
- Fountain of Truth Spring Water crowdfunding campaign
- Q&A: Building strength and agility for archery and hunting
- Q&A: Daniel's tick strategy
- Introducing Kimi Werner
- Kimi’s recent adventures
- The complexity of identifying as a hunter
- Connection to our food and our sense of self
- Kimi explains her spearfishing hunting practice
- How Kimi remains undetected from prey underwater
- Kimi’s basic spearfishing kit
- Special relationships with certain tools
- What species have meant to the most to Kimi
- The most humbling species that Kimi has shared the water with
- The fish to table process
- How Kimi keeps her fish cold after the hunt
- Kimi’s favorite smoker grill
- Getting into mammal hunting and hunting invasive species
- Do hunters play a role in the future of bringing the earth back to balance?
- How to connect with Kimi
178 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 97 mins duration .