Manage episode 210302516 series 4687
We're back with Q&A #6 with Robb and Nicki for Episode 399 of the podcast.
And don't forget to submit your own questions for the podcast here: https://robbwolf.com/contact/submit-a-question-for-the-podcast/Show Notes:
1. [3:24] Book recommendations for us nutrition nerds. Sarang says: Hey Robb, You have been successful in making me and thousands of guys like me to become total "nutrition nerds". We have all been listening to your podcasts from months/years and reading all kinds of books and blogs we can find to quench the thirst for more knowledge. For some reason, its a highly addictive subject and I'm thinking and reading about it most of the time. It would be great if you could list out some books that are knees deep in the science and not just superficial advice. The whole paleo/nutrition community would be thankful for that. Thanks in advance!
1-Kung San: Men Women and work in a foraging Society- https://www.amazon.com/Kung-San-Women-Foraging-Society/dp/0521295610
3-The Rational Optimist: How Prosperity Evolves- https://www.amazon.com/Rational-Optimist-Prosperity-Evolves-P-s/dp/0061452068/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1529600750&sr=1-1
4- The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World-
5-Lecture Notes on human metabolism- http://watcut.uwaterloo.ca/webnotes/Metabolism/
2. [13:03] Liver Stress Maryann says: First, thank you and Nikki for all you have done and sacrificed to spread the message of clean eating and sustainability. Do you know of or have your read any research on possible liver stress associated with consuming the amounts of protein recommended in the keto gains calculator for a 57 year old female athlete? I will elaborate if you need more background information. Sincerely, Listener #7
3. [16:38] Protein needs Bodybuilding Keto - Muscle Gain James says: For an intermediate to advanced ketogenic bodybuilder/powerlifter looking to maintain muscle mass during a cut; what would be your initial recommendation on protein consumption? Same question for building muscle. Also: much research seems to have been done on fat loss. Are there any studies showing the performance of the ketogenic diet when t comes to muscle gain versus a higher carb approach? Maybe less muscle gain but fat free?
4. [21:33] Keto and true HIIT Greg says: Hi, I eat a Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD) and do Crossfit. I primarily consume more significant amounts of carbohydrates (max 20g for 195lb male) before doing classic CrossFit workouts where HIIT is part of the workout. I do this because: 1. I perform better than without the carbs. 2. I feel and recover better afterwards. 3. I am afraid of my body going catabolic because it can't get energy fast enough during workouts. A lot of what I've read about Keto and exercise deals with endurance workout and weightlifting. What is the best approach specifically for Keto and HIIT for optimizing performance and/or safety (avoid going catabolic)? Thank you! Greg
5. [27:12] A question about having carb withdrawal symptoms despite very high blood ketones. Rob says: Hi there, I was wondering if you could shed some light on my usual response to being in ketosis. I've been on a very strict ketogenic diet for about 6 months now. I've tested my blood ketones hundreds of times using an Abbot Freestyle meter and I'm almost always in the 1mmol to 3mmol range. I have experienced some of the commonly talked about keto symptoms such as occasional feelings of euphoria, appetite suppression (sometimes to the point of nausea if I've consumed a lot of fat), trouble sleeping due to that buzzing ketosis feeling in the body some speak of. The trouble is I don't seem to do well when my ketones are derived from my own body fat, or at least it appears that way. I say this because I still often feel classic "carb-starved" feelings if I haven't eaten (irritable, trouble concentrating, etc). Eating lunch solves that, but this seems strange given that my ketones could still be at 3 yet I experience those symptoms. Perhaps those very few carbs in the lunch are what my body wants or perhaps my body prefers ketones from other sources than my own body fat. What has pushed me to a breaking point is a water fast I attempted this weekend. I began my fast after lunch on Friday (extremely low carb high fat) and during the fast felt exactly the same as I have on any fast I've ever done pre-keto. It was really difficult. I was irritable, had headaches, trouble concentrating the exact same feeling as a carb withdrawal. I was testing my ketones frequently in the days leading up to the fast so it should have been a breeze, in theory. And yes, I took plenty of sodium, potassium and magnesium - it doesn't change it at all. To thicken the plot further, I tested my ketones regularly throughout the whole fast. On Friday night they were about 3mmol and by Saturday lunchtime they were up around 4. By Sunday lunchtime they were up at 5-6 mmol yet I still felt like I was in serious carb withdrawal! Is it possible that ketosis is just not for me? I've heard Dom D'agostino mention that a minority of people don't thrive in ketosis. Any help would be appreciated! Rob
6. [35:30] Keto and Picking a Primary Care Doctor Kilson says: Hey guys! Huge fan of the show! I just read through "Wired to Eat" and really enjoyed it. I think it is a really good "catalyst" for getting started in the right foot. I've been messing around with Keto for a while now. Almost 3 years ago I was walking around at 357lbs and found out about keto, started boxing and lifting and made it down to as low as 250lbs! After some injuries and some life struggles I flew back up too 300lbs. For the last few months I'm back on the grind and trying to make it back down to a weight I feel good at. Big part is thanks to podcast like yours! So thank you very much! Oh right!... The question... I haven't gotten a physical or seen a doctor in a while now. Maybe close to two years. I'm having some trouble picking a Primary Care Provider. What are some things you look for in a Doc? Do you use some sort of platform to find a doctor who is in the know about stuff like Paleo and keto? I really want to get on top of this and find a doctor. Im from New York which is flooded with doctors but not sure who to go with. Any suggestions on how to narrow the choices? THANKS!
449 episodes available. A new episode about every 9 days averaging 45 mins duration .