Manage episode 232295434 series 2504282
Do you enjoy watching sports? Wear your favorite team or player’s jersey? Are you a fan who has shopped at Fanatics on the Cloud?
Today, we’re talking to Johnny Sheeley, director of Cloud engineering at Fanatics, which is a sports eCommerce business that manufactures and sells sports apparel. Fanatics runs Cloud engineering to provide a robust and reliable set of services by building and deploying applications on top of the Azure Data Lake Store (ADLS) platform.
Some of the highlights of the show include:
- If you compete with Amazon, be ready for it to come after you; some companies avoid its Cloud perspective or go multi-Cloud (paranoia-based movement)
- Focus on your ability to make your business function smoothly
- Transition, migration, and abstraction may be painful, but should not stop work; paying for Cloud-agnostic technology may not be worth it
- Challenges of governing use of Cloud resources to prevent mistakes/problems related to Fanatics’ security and budget
- Data collected focuses on what’s trending up or down to select an instance type that calculates costs; remain flexible and be aware of what you pay
- Natural instinct is to blame people; mistakes are made, especially when a human factor is introduced to an automated system
- Creating a mindset that focuses on feature and detail-oriented is challenging
- Cottage industry of code bases running in Big Data and other expensive realms
- As a product continues to evolve and grow, governance comes along for the ride and AWS bills are streamlined
- Will serverless, Lambda, and RDS change how Amazon charges in the future?
- State of scale of AWS and developing a more palatable method for releases because people can’t keep up with them and stop paying attention
- Two-Pizza Team: Amazon’s management philosophy that any team that works on a service should be able to be fed with two pizzas
- Such small teams work quickly and have the freedom to fail, but Amazon has a reliability for the longevity of its different services
- Johnny Sheeley's Email
- Johnny Sheeley on Twitter
- Rands Leadership Slack
- Getafix: How Facebook Tools Learn to Fix Bugs Automatically
- Accidentally Quadratic Blog
- Jeff Barr’s AWS News Blog
- Amazon SimpleDB
- Lots of Amazon's projects have failed...and that's ok, says Amazon's Andy Jassy
- Digital Ocean
69 episodes available. A new episode about every 0 hours averaging 35 mins duration .