Manage episode 219977561 series 2312993
In this episode I begin by sharing an essay I wrote called ‘In Praise of Reality.’ It gets directly to the theme of this episode, Addiction. Because when we are parked in fantasy, avoiding or painting a rosy picture of everything … we get lost. And that’s when our self-care really can go to hell.
I share a little about my own journey, and where this tendency seems to come from. I hope enjoy my thoughts.
Interview with Cali Estes, Addiction Coach
My interview with Cali Estes, an L.A.-based addiction coach, was eye opening. Because, yes, we really are becoming a nation of addicts. The numbers are all there. And they are sobering.
Whether it’s tech addiction, alcoholism, food addiction, or an addiction to shopping, we have succumbed to a lot of learned behaviors in 2018 that are just plain unhealthy. So our self-care depends on having a balanced, real conversation about this.
Hence my desire to speak with Cali.Some important things I learned:
- What addicts in our society are really addicted to
- Are we an addictive culture?
- The impact of satisfying our need for instant gratification
- Signs you could be addicted to social media
- Why our kids want to text more than talk
- How to know if you’re a tech addict
- Some ways to ease addictive behaviors around tech
- Tips for raising kids in a more healthy, balanced way
- Are there more addicts than ever?
The UnPause Your Life Podcast