Manage episode 226692397 series 2312993
If you’ve been troubled by how to express anger in your life – and yet, you seemed filled with it at times – this one’s for you.
I begin this episode by sharing an essay about my own anger evolution, titled 10 Ways to Heal Your Anger. May it take you a giant step closer back towards serenity. At the end, there’s also al ink to my free Heal Your Anger worksheet … enjoy!
What follows is a fantastic interview I had with Dr. Andrea Brandt, who is an expert on mindfulness in aging and anger. Today we focused on anger and her ideas and insights really blew me away. The idea behind mindful anger is that you don’t have to run from your anger. If you handle it as the powerful energy source that it is, you can be healed, and learn, from it.I learned this in my conversation with Andrea:
- How to cope with our anger mindfully
- How to effectively hold your anger with children
- The surprising value of anger
- What repressed anger does to us long term – and how to deal with it
- The connection between anger and grief
- Steps you can take right now at home for dealing with your anger mindfully
- A script for a possible conversation about expressing your anger with a difficult person
Andrea Brandt, PhD, MFT, has over 35 years of clinical experience as a renowned psychotherapist, speaker, and author. In her work, Dr. Brandt reveals positive paths to emotional health that teach you how to reinvent and empower yourself. She emphasizes the mind-body-heart connection as a key to mental, physical, and emotional wellness. A featured media expert, Dr. Brandt has appeared on numerous television programs, radio shows, and podcasts. She is a contributor for Psychology Today and has written blog posts for The Huffington Post, Mind Body Green, Psych Central, and more. Dr. Brandt is the author of 8 Keys to Eliminating Passive-Aggressiveness and Mindful Anger: A Pathway to Emotional Freedom.