Manage episode 221110327 series 2312993
Anxiety is everywhere. These days, 40 million Americans have experienced anxiety and/or panic. So we’re looking at how to deal with both of them in this episode.
I begin with an essay I wrote last year called, ‘The Secret to Relaxing About Life’ – more of a general reminder to all of us on how to chill, rather than a specific set of ideas about anxiety.
Then I move on to interview psychologist Dr. Helen Odessky.
Helen shared the goods on how to deal with anxiety from a clinical perspective. Her background in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Exposure Therapy make this a particularly hands-on approach, that includes but is not limited to using drugs.Here’s what I learned:
- How you know if you actually suffer from panic and anxiety
- Typical therapy activities that might help someone deal with disabling panic or anxiety
- How you know when you’re effectively healed or treatment is no longer needed
- Why and how therapy can actually alter brain chemistry around anxiety
- What’s up with middle of the night panic attacks?
- 3 things anyone can do right now to begin healing their panic or anxiety
I hope you learn as much as I did … enjoy! (And don’t forget to breathe!)LINKS
Helen is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist and practicing Chicago therapist, focusing on anxiety and panic treatment. She is trained in Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, and Exposure Therapy, and the author of Stop Anxiety from Stopping You.