Manage episode 231512858 series 1401626
This week, we welcome to the show Linzi Berry, a manager on Lyft's design system. Linzi enlightens us on how to implement, maintain, enforce, evangelize, and roll out a design system, and we discuss her super informative design blog, Tap to Dismiss. In Follow-up, we debate some Episode 300 suggestions, revisit the Figma UI refresh, and shout out a quality-of-life improvement in Sketch 54. And as always, we (all three of us!) share some cool things, including a historic photo, a video to help understand that photo, and an update on the Bobiverse.
This week's episode is brought to you by Abstract
Abstract is design workflow management for modern design teams. With Abstract, you can bring your design workflow into a single, unified place for designers, developers, and stakeholders to collaborate and keep work moving forward. Sign your team up for a free, 30-day trial today by heading over to abstract.com. And if you tweet at @goabstract and @designdetailsfm, with the phrase “improve my design workflow” you’ll be entered for a chance to win a $500 credit to their Business plan.
- Jonathan Fisher sent us some great ideas for Episode 300, including having Bryn back on the show
- Send your Ep 300 ideas to us @designdetailsfm
- Jason Csizmadi wishes we had talked more about the Figma UI Refresh
- Sketch 54 has some nice quality-of-life improvements
- Chris Doner wants some details about tactical usage of a design system
- SMASH CUT TO:
- Linzi Berry (site) is a design manager on the Lyft Design System
- She worked at Odopod on stuff for SpaceX, Tesla, Fitbit, and Audemars Piguet
- Watch brands pop up in rap songs a lot thanks to Jay-Z and Beyoncé
- WalkSF is "your advocate for safe streets for all"
- Better Market Street is a collaboration "initiating a number of improvements to test ways to improve Market Street"
- Michael Wang, formerly at Lyft, is a designer at Northstar
- Peak2Peak is "the ultimate urban walking adventure"
- Walk to Work Day is SF's "annual celebration of our walking city – and of everyone who walks"
- Brown Bag Meetings are " informal meetings that occur in the workplace generally around lunchtime"
- Colorbox is a tool created by Kevyn Arnott
- Tap to Dismiss is Linzi's Medium blog that "sweats the details so you don't have to"
- Divider Lines are deceptively hard
- Sam Soffes coined the term "Choice Chip Bag"
- Linda Dong is a design manager at Lyft, too
One Cool Thing:
- Linzi shared the first photo ever taken of a black hole
- Marshall shared "How to Understand the Image of a Black Hole", a video by Veratasium
- Brian shared For We Are Many, Book 2 of the Bobiverse Trilogy by Dennis E. Taylor
Design Details on the Web:
- We are @designdetailsfm
- Join the conversation on Spectrum or leave us a review on iTunes
298 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 55 mins duration .