Manage episode 188008579 series 1502669
In this episode of the podcast, I focus on a topic that has been a lifelong personal struggle: sleep.
I’ve found that if you prioritize sleep — and recovery, in general — it magnifies everything else in your life, from your emotional health to physical training. To help you take better care of your mind and body, I’ve gathered some of the best advice from multiple guests about rest and regeneration.
This episode includes tips and recommendations from:
- Strength coach Charles Poliquin
- Obstacle course racer Amelia Boone
- Comedian Mike Birbiglia
- Dr. Peter Attia
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another episode of featuring multiple guests and their best tips? In this episode, we explore the best morning routines with Jocko Willink, Seth Godin, Jamie Foxx, and Scott Adams (stream below or right-click here to download):
This podcast is brought to you by Soothe.com, the world’s largest on-demand massage service. Because I’ve been broken so many times, I have body work done at least twice a week — so I have a high bar for this stuff. I do not accept mediocrity, and I wouldn’t expect you to, either.
After much personal testing, I can affirm that Soothe delivers a hand-selected, licensed, and experienced massage therapist to you in the comfort of your own home, hotel, or office in as little as an hour. I was amazed at the quality of service and convenience. Think of it as Uber for massages, available in fifty†cities worldwide. Download the app at Soothe.com, and use code TIM to get $20 off each of your first two massages.
This podcast is also brought to you by MVMT. The founders are two college dropouts who wanted to wear fancy watches, but couldn’t afford them — so they decided to scratch their own itch and build a company around high-quality but affordable watches in 2013. They’ve gone from startup to more than one million watches sold across 160 countries in just a few years — an awesome success story that makes sense when you check out the product.
MVMT offers classic designs, quality construction, and many different modern styles, so you can pick one that suits you. Get 15 percent off your entire purchase with free shipping (and free returns if you’re dissatisfied for any reason) by visiting MVMTwatches.com/tim!
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Charles Poliquin:
- Connect with Amelia Boone:
- Connect with Mike Birbiglia:
- Connect with Peter Attia:
- Marpac Dohm-DS All Natural Sound Machine
- Alternative Sleep Schedule Overviews, Polyphasic Society
- Charles Poliquin — His Favorite Mass-Building Program, His Nighttime Routine For Better Sleep, and Much More
- Arm Size and Strength: The Ultimate Guide by Charles R. Poliquin
- Yin Reserve
- The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferriss
- The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan
- Jailhouse Strong by Josh Bryant and Adam benShea
- Amelia Boone on Beating 99% of Men and Suffering for High Performance
- Foam Rollers
- Mike Birbiglia, The Sleepwalking Comedy Giant
- Fitbit One Wireless Activity Plus Sleep Tracker
- REM Behavior Disorder
- Sleep With Me Podcast
- Mike Birbiglia: Thank God For Jokes
- The Comedy Cellar in New York City
- The Chicago Theatre
- Dr. Peter Attia on Life-Extension, Drinking Jet Fuel, Ultra-Endurance, Human Foie Gras, and More
- Krebs Cycle
- My struggles with insomnia and techniques that have helped. [06:03]
- Charles Poliquin talks about supplements and routines he uses for improving sleep. [10:18]
- Amelia Boone pushes her body to the absolute limits. Here’s how she makes the most of her downtime with rest, routine, and nutrition. [19:01]
- Mike Birbiglia’s nightly rituals, and how he deals with his own serious sleepwalking disorder. [34:47]
- What endurance athlete and researcher Dr. Peter Attia knows about the science of recovery, metabolic syndrome, and synthetic ketones. [42:44]
36 episodes available. A new episode about every 4 days .