Manage episode 233848072 series 2286104
This interview episode with Matt Overton is a jam! Engaging and energetic for those who are feeling a need for fresh wind in youth ministry (Matt would appreciate the boat joke).
Grow volume 3 drops this month! Did you know that you can get a year of Youth Ministry Booster free? Just buy Grow volume 3 here and a year of YMB is free ($240 value!).
About the Guest:
Matt Overton is a Princeton educated Virginian doing youth ministry in the Pacific North West. Matt's thoughtful, savvy, innovative approach to remodeling youth ministry is an exciting beat for frustrated or tired youth ministers.
Learn more about Matt's Team, Vision, And Mentorship Program The Columbia Future Forge Here.
Get Matt's New Book Mentorship and The Marketplace here
Get Grow+Booster for the price of Grow!
Show Notes and Quotes:
- "No student is ever finished”
- Students are less ready to make commitments in life
- Student’s developmental plans have slowed down in their lives.
- “One of the ways I have learned how to be a christian in public is work. My jobs revealed the values that I had learned in Christ.”
- The church is sometimes an environment of too “niceness”
- A social enterprise is a new kind of business: Double bottom line: profit and impact.
- What are the problem areas in youth ministry?
- What is the urgency for youth ministry?
- MowTown Teen Lawn Care https://mowtownteenlawncare.com/
- Do what you are already good at... what are you good at?
- “It’s the passion that you desire for your students why would you not start with yourself.”
- Theological Movement: all of us are called to reflect on our internal and external lives
- You have to start with missional theology. Move it, settle in, pay attention, look for the gospel holes, and find ways to do the gospel work.
- Ministry is actually very patient work.
- Innovation usually comes about when someone takes something that they were already good at on the side and they invested in it in their primary day to day activity.
183 episodes available. A new episode about every 8 days averaging 31 mins duration .