Manage episode 242200980 series 2286820
The official definition of Borderline Personality Disorder, as outlined by the National Institute of Mental Health: Borderline personality disorder is a mental illness marked by an ongoing pattern of varying moods, self-image, and behavior. These symptoms often result in impulsive actions and problems in relationships. People with borderline personality disorder may experience intense episodes of anger, depression, and anxiety that can last from a few hours to days.
Jody Betty is a Certified Crisis Responder and a Trauma-Informed Peer Support mentor. She is a survivor of trauma and multiple suicide attempts and lives with BPD. She is also a blogger and podcast host, and her work as a mental health advocate with Sick Not Weak, is well documented through her writing and social media presence.
Jody is a returning guest on Beyond Your Past Radio. She joined us back on episode 109, where she talked about some of her survivor story and life as a survivor. You can listen to that episode here or on your favorite podcasting app. She also wrote a blog piece a few years back, on Surviving My Past, where she talks about her safe place as a child.
During our chat on the podcast, Jody gives us insight into what life is like living with BPD, and the constant struggle to understand what's happening, where her emotions are taking her, and utilizing the coping skills she's developed throughout her life.
- What is life like waking up each day and dealing with the daily struggles, of borderline personality disorder?
- When did she realize there was something wrong and decided to seek out treatment, and ultimately receive a diagnosis of BPD?
- The emotional roller coaster that happens throughout the day, and how often times it's all she can do to just get through one hour at a time.
- Coping skills that Jody has found helpful in living with BPD.
- Learning how healing happens "in the middle"; what that means for survivors living with BPD.
- Learning to hold two truths in your mind about who you are.
- Her peer support program where she works with survivors of trauma, struggling with chronic suicidality and living with BPD.
If you enjoy these podcasts would you consider doing 3 easy things for us?
- Share it with one person who might find it helpful.
- Leave a review on your favorite podcast app.
- Follow the podcast on that same app, so you never miss an episode.
That’s it…Super Easy and it would mean the world to us.
All conversation and information exchanged during participation on the podcast and BeyondYourPastRadio.com are intended for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing on the podcast or posted on the above-mentioned website are supplements for or supersedes the relationship and direction of your medical or mental health providers.
Support the show