Episode 47 - Consumerism and God's Kingdom (Featuring Special Guests Shannan Martin and Ashley Hales!)
Manage episode 222031244 series 2286887
Consumption! Capitalism! Consumerism! Christmas! We’re hitting pause and engaging the heart of consumption, capitalism, consumerism and most importantly, the heart of Christmas. What does it mean to celebrate the birth of Jesus, a poor kid from Nazareth who learned his father’s trade and had nowhere to lay his head? Ashley Hales and Shannan Martin join us as we ask: How do we opt out of the glitz and glitter around us to make space in our homes for the baby Messiah born in a manger?
Shannan Martin, author of “The Ministry of Ordinary Places,” is a speaker, blogger, wife, and mom of four. Ashley Hales is a writer, speaker, pastor’s wife, and mother of four. She is the author of “Finding Holy in the Suburbs: Living Faithfully in the Land of Too Much.” Ashley and Shannan join Kayla Craig and Lindsy Wallace for a conversation about staying Christ-centered in a season of excess.
In this episode, we:
- Share how the life of Christ influences our approach to celebrating the Christmas holiday;
- Discuss whether modern capitalism is compatible with Christian living;
- Share how we mindfully engage in gift-giving; and
- Think about how we can emulate the life of Christ as consumers.
Join us as we discuss how we can celebrate Christmas in a capitalistic society while emulating the life of Jesus.
Recommended reading & resources:
- “Finding Holy in the Suburbs” by Ashley Hales
- “The Ministry of Ordinary Places” and “Falling Free” by Shannan Martin
- The Pray as You Go app and podcast
- Shannan Martin’s 12 Ways of Christmas
- Adventconspiracy.org and @adventconspiracy
- The Blessed is She Advent devotional
- Walter Brueggeman’s two Advent devotionals
- Listen to our conversation on ethical fashion with Lauren Pinkston of Wearthy (episode #32).
News, Notes, and Links:
If you’d like to support us to keep Upside Down Podcast ad-free, please visit us here, where you can pledge a few dollars of monthly support to help us pay our bills and keep the conversations going.
Find Ashley on Instagram: @aahales
Find Shannan on Instagram: @shannanwrites
Join the Upside Down Tribe on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/upsidedowntribe/?fref=nf