Manage episode 234185043 series 2304596
Do you remember the world before the internet? A world where children built Forts, rather than play Fortnite, and setting boundaries was as simple as closing the bedroom door. Or in my case - the day your Father received one too many outrageous phone bills and unplugged the telephone for a week. Teenage. Life. Over. As. I. Knew. It.
Compare that to some of the stories from my next guest….
In a world of influence, there’s possibly none more powerful - or wide reaching - as the influence we have on the next generation.
Maybe I’m thinking a lot about it at the moment - new baby on the way - young daughter I can feel already watching my every technology move. Someone asked me recently - boyfriend beaming into her eyeballs. HOW DO YOU PREPARE FOR THAT?
Yet this isn’t just a question for parents - this is a question for peers, teachers, mentors, relatives and leaders of young people. Or really for anyone trying to navigate a digital age where no one - not even the technology creators themselves - fully understand the rules (or consequences) of the game.
So how do we face this new digital dilemma with optimism rather than fear? How do we instill OR MODEL a resilient, healthy and empowered relationship with the technology that increasingly fuels every facet of our lives?
That’s the reason why today, I am introducing a 2 part podcast series with the incredible Dr Kristy Goodwin. Kristy is a children’s technology and development expert, a speaker, author and parent who has committed her life to translating the latest research on leading young people through a digital age. And it starts - you guessed it - with first leading ourselves.
Most importantly - what I want you to notice is that Kristy doesn’t believe in guilt. Which in a world where all our decisions in relation to technology - seem to be increasing coming under fire - in particular when it comes to digital devices and parenting. Is as refreshing as it is insightful.
In part one of this podcast dive into:
- Info-beasity, and address what it takes to tame the information beast.
- Why our ancient brains are struggling to cope in a digital world.
- Tips to prevent and manage techno-tantrums
- How our own digital habits inform how our children engage with devices - TIP - that age old parenting phrase ‘do as I say and not as I do’ - which is a from memory from my childhood - is about effective now as it was then.
- Effective (parental war zone tested) strategies to implement digital boundaries.
- The neuroscience governing our engagement with digital platforms.
- AND finally - and this one totally changed my perspective - why we should avoid using (or removing) digital devices and connectivity as a punishment tool
So - grab your digital device of choice - find a quiet spot - drop the guilt - and prepare to make some empowered choices in relation to how technology can enhance - rather than control - your life and the lives of those you love and lead. Enjoy my conversation with the crazy talented… Kristy Goodwin.
51 episodes available. A new episode about every 0 hours averaging 64 mins duration .