Manage episode 234868098 series 2304596
In the last episode of Inside Influence, I spoke to the incredible Dr Kristy Goodwin - children’s technology and development expert, a speaker, author and parent - about The Digital Dilemma.
We unlocked the challenges faced by parents, leaders and teachers in influencing young people in a new digital age. An age where digital devices increasingly - and soon to be literally - are woven into every fabric of our environment.
The episode was full of perspective changing information - or at least I know it was for me - which is why today as bonus episode - and for the first time for Inside Influence listeners we are backing it up with a Part Two.
For those of you who missed last week’s conversation - I would recommend downloading part one - although not essential it will be helpful in giving you some background context to Kristy’s work - however if you did miss it, we covered everything from infobesity to techno tantrums, brain science to boundary setting and Kristy (very generously) offered up a toolkit of proven parent strategies to manage your child's relationship to digital devices….100% guilt free.
At the heart of the conversation we explored one of the most profoundly influential positions we will ever hold as a human being… The Influence we have as parents, mentors and leaders in helping a new generation make healthy choices - in particular around what and who they allow into their worlds.
As I mentioned in the first episode - this used to be as simple as closing the front door - finishing school, heading home and forgetting about it for the day. Now that world - and all it’s opinions, personalities and messages - follows us home in the form of digital devices.
In part two we discuss the following:
- The right and wrong environments for digital devices
- How to engage young people - in particular young children - in conversations about digital safety
- Why technology can in fact support our relationships - but should never supercede them
- How to manage the mine field of early exposure to sexuality, body image norms (or apparent norms) and exposure to porn. This one is I know on the mind of a lot of parents I know, in particular those of young boys.
- How to protect our children from cyber bullying.
- And the most influential question for us all: Are we being controlled by digital or is it possible to develop boundaries - healthy and resilient boundaries - where we can take the best of this new world - and leave the worst?
Now it bears repeating in the words of Dr Kristy herself - these are 100% guilt free conversations. Feeling guilty about our relationship to technology isn’t going to help anyone. It’s just going to keep us all further stuck in the dark - and prevent the type of conversations that are needed if we’re going to navigate this new world. None of us know the rules here. So let’s talk.
On that note - for the second time - grab a cup of tea - a bar of dark chocolate - or your running shoes - whatever floats your boat and enjoy Part Two in my conversation with the incredible Dr Kristy Goodwin.
51 episodes available. A new episode about every 0 hours averaging 64 mins duration .