Ex-toilet cleaner turned product developer Ammon Arrave on how he came to invent the One 80 Light | #483
Manage episode 246182131 series 2342426
Ammon Arrave was once a teacher. Then he had a business cleaning portable toilets. Now he’s the inventor of the One 80 Light … the world’s first peripheral L.E.D. headlamp.
A little bit more about One 80 Light inventor Ammon Arrave …
Righto, let’s meet Ammon Arrave.
He’s the inventor of the One 80 Light - the world’s first peripheral L.E.D. headlamp … which is a fancy way of saying it’s a light that you strap on your head and it illuminates everything in front of you.
He’s done OK with it. He’s raised $150,000 on Kickstarter. And sold plenty of lights and accessories.
But here’s the thing.
He’s not a millionaire. Yet.
He’s not an eCommerce rockstar. Yet.
In fact, he’s not totally convinced he’s got what it takes to be either of those things. Yet.
And that’s what I like about him. Ammon is just a bloke, who used to be a teacher then started a portable toilet cleaning business. He then tried his hand at product development … and here he is today.
So maybe this time, have a listen to what Ammon has to share - after all he’s no dummy - he’s invented a pretty cool product, which he’s wholesaling, selling online and making a living from it. But at the end of this chat, I list a few more things he could be doing to grow his business and I’m going to give you a chance to share your thoughts with him as well.
I started off by asking Ammon how portable toilets lead to the invention of the One 80 Light.
Here’s what caught my attention from my chat with One 80 Light inventor Ammon Arrave:
- I like the way Ammon makes a point of steering clear of the nay-sayers. Hang around with uplifting peeps.
- I like how Ammon is aware that there are a number of different groups of people using the One 80 Light - joggers, hikers, trades etc even though he’s not doing anything about individually targeting them in his marketing.
- I like the fact that he’s retained 100% ownership of his business, whilst using Kickstarter to raise the money he needs to move it forward.
Resources mentioned in episode 483 of The Small Business Big Marketing Show:
- Buy a One 80 Light on their official website
- Ammon’s new Kickstarter campaign
- Stu Heinecke’s podcast - How to get a meeting with anyone
- Last week’s interview with Get The Meeting! author Stu Heinecke
- Interviews I’ve done with other inventors or founders who’ve raised money through crowdfunding:
This week’s Monster Prize Draw winner
Please support the following businesses who make this show possible:
Let your business expenses reward you. Every year.
Check out their online marketing packages tailored for businesses just like yours.
Australia’s Internet isn’t great. That’s why Switchnode exist. The solution is here and it’s wireless.
If something in this episode of Australia’s favourite marketing podcast peaked your interest, then let me know by leaving a comment below.
May your marketing be the best marketing.
[ For more interviews with successful business owners visit Small Business Big Marketing ]