Manage episode 224577281 series 2372477
Caldo Verde | Portuguese Kale Soup, Spaghetti Aglio e Olio with Lots of Kale, and Frisée Salad With Pears and Manchego
After our all-cookie diet over the holidays, we thought a week of a few more veggies were in order. Don’t worry, this isn’t a diet plan or Whole30. Instead we have three recipes that are delicious, satisfying, and get some vegetables back in our diets. Which can only mean more room for dessert, right?
A traditional Portuguese soup that gets its flavor from lashings of olive oil and a link of sausage, we liked this filling yet not to stodgy soup. Perfect for a post-blustery January walk or to stave off that cold going around the office.
- If you can’t find the suggested Portuguese sausage, try kielbasa or even a smoked chicken sausage. What you do not want is a Mexican-style chorizo or loose sausage. You should be able to slice it into coins before cooking.
- We cannot overstate- your kale needs to be sliced very fine. The cooking time is short for the greens. Thin strips will lead to tender greens in your soup.
Sure, kale is healthy, trendy, and pretty tasty. But add some pasta and you have a dinner to happily anticipate.
- Kate was able to halve this recipe very successfully.
- We found this to be a very garlic-forward recipe. If that’s not your cup of tea, perhaps another recipe would be a good idea.
- Slow cooking the garlic cloves in the olive oil mellowed out the garlic from a harsh bite to a heady aroma. Don’t rush this step.
Salads are a great way to get a bit of freshness in the winter months. The trick is to make one that takes advantage of available greens and produce. This Frisee salad with Pears and Manchego Cheese combine slightly bitter frisee with pears, pomegranate, and cheese to offset that bite.
- Parmesan or pecorino is a fine substitute to manchego cheese.
- Just as with the cheese, if red anjou pears aren’t available, use the pears that look good in the store that day.
- Consider serving this salad with a roast ham or chicken. The fruit and sharp greens are a winning combination.
From the Smorgasbord:
- Betsy is loving the Fab Four Smoothie from Kelly LeVeque. It’s filling, quick, and won’t leave you with a sugar crash at four o’clock.
86 episodes available. A new episode about every 4 days averaging 21 mins duration .