eCommerce person of the year, Julie Mathers, on how she’s built a $15M empire in just 5-years | #488
Manage episode 248545332 series 2452006
Does the idea of building a profitable business that turns over $15M after just 5-years appeal? What about winning a swag of business and personal awards along the way? I thought it would. Well, Flora & Fauna’s Julie Mathers has done just that, and bacon has played no role whatsoever! It’s a very Vegan episode 488 of The (award-winning) Small Business Big Marketing Show thanks to American Express and my very own marketing book … The Boomerang Effect.
A little bit more about Flora & Fauna’s Julie Mathers …
Julie Mathers (with her hubby Tom) founded Flora & Fauna, the world’s largest self-funded, 100% vegan store just 5-years ago with a crystal clear vision to become the most responsible retailer possible, offering the world’s best customer service.
Well, she’s doing something right, as 5-years on, Flora & Fauna:
- Stocks 6,500 products
- Will turn-over $15M this year
- And Julie was recently named #1 in the Online Retailing Industry Association’s Top 50 People in Australian eCommerce AS WELL AS their Business Person of the Year
Here’s why you’ll be better off after this chat:
- You’ll discover how and why being a purpose-driven business grows your bottom line
- How being ethical is also a solid growth strategy
- How you can build a tribe of loyal customers who are with you for life
- Why employing people with disabilities is good for business
- And plenty more
I started off by asking Julie what it’s like to have grown such a successful business in such a short time, whilst doing a load of good for the planet ....
“Don’t look at employing people with disabilities as a burden or a cost … see it as an opportunity.”
- Julie Mathers, Flora & Fauna
Here’s what caught my attention from my chat with Flora & Fauna’s Julie Mathers:
- I love how Julie’s so succinctly articulated her purpose as helping the world make kinder choices.
- I love how showing kindness and compassion has lead to Flora & Fauna having a very inclusive workplace.
- I love that she’s created her own house brand called Green & Kind.
“It’s really, really important to know why you’re doing what you’re doing. And unless you can be incredibly authentic about it, and really honest with yourself as well,then you’re going to struggle (in business).”
- Julie Mathers, Flora & Fauna
Other resources mentioned in episode 488 of The Small Business Big Marketing Show:
- Flora & Fauna on Facebook
- Flora & fauna on Twitter
- Flora & Fauna on Instagram
- Flora & Fauna on YouTube
- Last week’s interview with Lumber Punk's Tyson McMillan
- Interviews I’ve done with other business owners who are doing a world of good:
This week’s Monster Prize Draw winner:
Dave Harrisson of Heavy Metal Merchant - an online store dedicated to providing best official heavy metal merchandise.
Please support the following businesses who make this show possible:
Let your business expenses reward you. Every year.
Australia’s Internet isn’t great. That’s why Switchnode exist. The solution is here and it’s wireless.
If something in this episode of Australia’s favourite marketing podcast peaked your interest, then let me know by leaving a comment below.
May your marketing be the best marketing.
[ For more interviews with successful business owners visit Small Business Big Marketing ]