Manage episode 242365673 series 2499001
With the help of listeners and Backpacking 101 author Heather Balogh Rochfort, we share stories of first-time backpackers and advice to get started.
Whether you're a seasoned backpacker or a beginner, there's inspiration and a little trail magic (not the thru-hiking kind) to be found in this episode.
Woman featured in this episode: Voice memos: Maggie Rehberg, Holly Bullis, Jennifer Jansen, Lindsey Falkenburg, Victoria Wang, Laura Navar, Tori Morrison, Marie Vanderpool, Lori O’Connell, Sarah Grothjan, Alexandra Goldman, Meg Dagon, and Julie Hotz.
Interview with Heather Balogh Rochfort on getting started backpacking.
Hosted by Gale Straub
In this episode, you'll hear:
- Stories of listeners' first time out backpacking
- The story of host Gale Straub's first backpacking trip
- Conversation with Heather Balogh Rochfort, author of Backpacking 101, about practical advice for women who are new to backpacking, including:
- What to pack
- Leave No Trace
- Advice from listeners about what they wish they knew when they got started, as well as specific advice for fellow solo backpackers
- A bit of cheerleading you didn't know you needed to take the final step towards your first backpacking trip!
- Beginner backpacking resources mentioned:
- Heather Balogh Rochfort: Instagram, Blog & Books - Backpacking 101 & Women Who Hike
- Listeners Featured:
- Maggie Rehberg: Instagram
- Holly Bullis: Instagram & Website
- Jennifer Jansen: Personal Instagram & Wanderluv Maps: Instagram & Website
- Lindsey Falkenburg: Instagram & Tandem Trekking Blog
- Victoria Wang: Instagram & Teacher Life Pod
- Laura Navar: Instagram
- Tori Morrison: Instagram & Tickled by Travel Blog
- Marie Vanderpool: Instagram & Photography Site
- Lori O'Connell: Instagram & Feed N Flow - Outdoor Adventure and Keto lifestyle blog
- Sarah Grothjan: Instagram & Website; She Explores Podcast Episode - Apple Podcasts & Spotify
- Alexandra Goldman: Instagram & the Ladies of the JMT facebook group she referenced
- Meg Dagon: Instagram
- Julie Hotz: Instagram, Website, and Unrooted Podcast
- Merrell: Learn more at Merrell.com and check out the Moab-2 Mid Hiking boots
- Rooted: Get 15% off your order by heading to Rooted.nyc/explore and using the code 'Explore' at checkout
- Deuter: Learn more at Deuter.com and check out the backpacking bag Laura took to the Eastern Sierras
Episodes air weekly on Wednesdays-- subscribe wherever you listen so you never miss an episode.
Music is by Kai Engel, Lee Rosevere, Meydän, and Josh Woodward using a creative commons attributions license.