Podcasting Editors: How to Find, Hire, and Manage a Subcontractor – PEM0030
Manage episode 295383800 series 2811833
If you’re a podcast editor and have ever thought about hiring a subcontractor for your podcast editing business, this episode is for you.
Podcasting Editing is a booming industry and the demand for skilled editors has never been higher. But with that comes the challenge of finding, vetting, training and managing contractors to work on your projects.
After all, you don’t want to be the single point of failure in your business. You want to be able to take time off and to know that the work can still get done if you get sick.
We want to help make it easier by giving you some guidelines and tips from our experience on how to find, vet, train and manage subcontractors in order to grow your podcast editing business without having all the pressure fall on just one person (you).
Listen TODAY to Discover
- Where to find contractors.
- Vetting, training, and learning to trust your team members.
- Ways to choose what work you give them.
- Finances and different approaches to appropriate compensation.
- How a doctor’s office operates differently from how many podcast editors approach their businesses.
- Why you may (or may NOT) want to make a virtual assistant your first hire our outsourcing decision.
- The challenge to overcoming perfection and a bias towards control.
- Why you might want to consider short-term arrangements rather than an ongoing agreement.
- Different approaches to distributing up the workload.
- Things to consider when creating an application or a Request for Quote (RFQ) document.
- Things to look for in team members beyond just skill.
- What it will take to get Carrie to learn your favorite Digital Audio Workstation (DAW).
- Contracts and payment methods.
- Things to consider in order to protect yourself from subcontractors stealing your business.
- The answer to “Who would you most like to sit next to on a ten-hour flight?”
Links & Resources
- Find ways that podcast editors can take more money home by managing their finances differently.
- Daniel's sample Podcast Editor Application
- Reaper for Podcasting Group
- Podcast Editor Academy
- Podcast Editors Club
This episode of the Podcast Editors Mastermind was edited by Gabriel Simão, who you can find at https://gabrielsimao.com/.
Be a Guest
If you're a podcast editor, we'd love to see if you'd be a fit for a future episode. Fill out this form to let us know you're interested, and we'll contact you to see if it's a good fit.
Your Yetis Are
- Daniel Abendroth | Roth Media
- Jennifer Longworth | Bourbon Barrel Podcasting
- Carrie Caulfield Arick | YaYa Podcasting
- Bryan Entzminger | Top Tier Audio
About the Podcast Editors Mastermind
The Podcast Editors Mastermind is for professional podcast editors who want to grow their business and get more clients. We’re creating a community of like-minded professionals that are passionate about the art and science of editing podcasts.
Our goal is to help you build your business by providing tools, resources, and support so you can focus on what matters most—your craft. This isn’t just another group where everyone talks about how great they are at podcast editing; we show our work!
Follow or subscribe and take the Podcast Editors Mastermind with you today!