Manage episode 270331488 series 1337812
Welcome to episode 191 of the Sexology Podcast! Today I’m excited to welcome Dr. Kelli Palfy to the podcast. In this episode Dr. Palfy talks to me about male sexual abuse, the stigma around this issue and understanding that recovery is possible.
Dr. Palfy has a unique background in working with victims of sexual abuse. She obtained her Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology from the University of Alberta in 2016. When conducting her doctoral research, she examined the reasons why males do not commonly disclose sexual abuse. She was well-prepared to research this topic from the experience she gained in her prior profession in law enforcement. From 1995 - 2011 when she was a respected member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. During this, her prior career she focused on sex crimes investigations and specialized in the global sexual victimization of children where she gained experience in identifying the sophisticated grooming tactics used by perpetrators.
Dr. Palfy brings the many facets of her unique combination of professional experience and perspective to her practice. She is now a trained trauma therapist and public speaker. As a private practitioner, she works with male survivors of sexual abuse, as well as first responders and couples. She is trained in the use of Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Emotion-Focused Therapy (EFT) and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Outside of her professional life she is an avid outdoor adventurer, enjoying hiking, cycling, swimming, kayaking, and paddle boarding. She treasures her time with good friends and her pets.
In this episode, you will hear:
- How did Dr Palfy become interested in this work?
- The stigma that men face around this issue
- The misconceptions men encounter around this topic
- Looking at how the abusers can often be someone we know
- Understanding that physical pleasure doesn’t mean consent
- Looking at the sexual orientation piece of survivors
- The dysfunctional ways survivors are coping after trauma
- Sexual dysfunctions that can manifest in survivors
- How to communicate being a survivor to your partner
- Understanding that recovery is possible
- Learning to commit to trauma treatment and the benefits it has
What Kind of Lover Are You?
Find Dr. Palfy online:
Find Dr. Moali online:
Find me on social media:
If you are interested in booking a video counselling session with Dr. Moali:
Podcast Produced by Pete Bailey - http://petebailey.net/audio