Manage episode 302252499 series 1337812
Welcome to episode 247 of the Sexology Podcast! Today I am delighted to welcome Marci Liroff (she/her) to the podcast. In this episode, we discuss how Marci transitioned from casting director and acting coach to intimacy coordinator, why intimacy coordinators are not the “sex police” and the ways she helps the film crew coordinate sex scenes.
A veteran Casting Director, Marci (she/her) has been casting film and television for the last 40 years. Her extensive credits span more than 50 films. While working at the renowned office of Fenton-Feinberg Casting she, along with Mike Fenton, cast such films as Bob Clark’s A Christmas Story and Porky’s; the Academy Award-nominated Poltergeist; Steven Spielberg’s E.T.– The Extra Terrestrial and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom; and Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner.
After establishing her own casting company in 1983, MARCI LIROFF CASTING, Marci cast many successful films including Footloose, St. Elmo’s Fire, Pretty in Pink, The Iron Giant, The Spitfire Grill (which she produced as well), Untamed Heart, Freaky Friday, Mean Girls, Insomnia, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, Mr. Popper’s Penguins, and Vampire Academy. For the last 10 years, Marci has been coaching and teaching actors to prepare for upcoming auditions and jobs.
Her years of work in film and television production, along with her communication skills and keen eye, make Marci a perfect fit in the world of intimacy coordination. She recently intimacy coordinated the feature film The Virgin of Highland Park and served as the IC for the second season of the Starz show Hightown.
In this episode, you will hear:
- How Marci transitioned from casting director and acting coach to intimacy coordinator
- Why intimacy coordinators are not the “sex police”
- The ways Marci helps the film crew to coordinate sex scenes
- Looking at the relationship between intimacy coordinators and directors
- Issues that can arise on set and how Marci deals with them
- Analyzing the importance of consent
- How consent is being incorporated into specifics in contracts around sex scenes
- The importance of reading your contract as an actor
- Navigating intimate scenes where minors are involved, E.G Stranger Things
- The toughest scenes that Marci has coordinated
Thank you to BetterHelp for sponsoring this episode. Use the link below to get 10% of your first month of online therapy with BetterHelp:
Live Masterclass for Couples in Long-Term Relationships
Tired of Leftover Sex? The Roadmap to Reviving Your Sex Life with Your Partner
In this Masterclass, we will: 1. Identify the main causes of sexual dissatisfaction in your relationship: Together we will assess and discuss common causes of sexual dissatisfaction and how you can uncover the root causes for each.
2. Incorporate specific strategies and tackle the root causes: We will introduce the most effective ways of improving your connection with your partner.
3. Bring excitement back to your relationship with the help of tangible tools: We will talk about the latest research on sexual boredom and how to bring thrill and excitement back into your relationship.
Find Marci Liroff Online
Podcast Produced by Pete Bailey - http://petebailey.net/audio