Manage episode 220566497 series 1337812
Welcome to episode 96 of the Sexology Podcast, today I’m delighted to be joined by Melissa Novak who speaks to us about the underlying issues around sexual performance anxiety, the way in which our western culture exacerbates this issue and learning to be honest with your partner about your sexual desires and needs.
Melissa Novak a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) and Certified Sex Therapist, specializing in the treatment of sexual dysfunction, personality disorders as well as depression and anxiety-related disorders. She specializes in working with adults, and couples on a variety of issues such as sexual dysfunction, depression, anxiety, OCD, and PTSD. Melissa has a particular interest in working with those struggling with sexual dysfunction and those concerned about some aspect of their sexual behavior.
In addition to providing individual therapy, Melissa serves as an educator and supervisor within the Chicagoland community and currently teaches as an adjunct professor at the University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration. She serves as Secretary for the Board of Directors of the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT).
In this episode, you will hear:
- The underlying issues around sexual performance anxiety such as self-doubt
- How many people are using uncertified online resources to try and overcome this issue
- The way in which our western culture exacerbates this issue
- How there is too much pressure on penis size to be the only source of pleasure
- How rejection can play a big role around this issue
- Learning to be honest with your partner about your sexual desires and needs
- What treatment looks like for sexual performance anxiety
Podcast Produced by Pete Bailey - http://petebailey.net/audio
133 episodes available. A new episode about every 0 hours averaging 35 mins duration .