Manage episode 274932486 series 2363438
It’s taken a while but finally Simon manages to pin down an expert to chat with him about menopause. Dr. Juliet McGrattan is a former GP who after 16 years decided to hang up her stethoscope and follow her passion, using medical knowledge and experience to improve health through physical activity.
She wrote a book, Sorted: The Active Woman’s Guide to Health, which was published by Bloomsbury Sport in 2017 and won first prize in the Popular Medicine category at the 2018 British Medical Association Medical Book Awards. She is also the resident Health Expert for Women’s Running UK magazine and writes frequently for other paper and online publications. Juliet is the Women’s Health Lead and Master Coach for the 261 Fearless Global Network founded by Kathrine Switzer which empowers women from every race and background to find courage through running. She is the Founder and Director of 261 Fearless Club UK and founding member and coach of local clubs 261 Fearless Club Lune Valley and 261 Fearless Club Lancaster. Finally, she worked for three years for Public Health England as the Lead Champion for Physical Activity in the North West of England.
In this show Dr. McGrattan answers listener questions, the request for which created a huge response. The questions covered a huge range of subjects including:
- Why good communication skills can be the best help to your wife, partner, friend during the menopause
- What you can do in advance to prepare for the menopause
- Perimenopause and contraception
- How to train through perimenopause and menopause
- Why eating nutrient dense, real food will help you more than supplements
- Tips for countering ‘menopause belly’
- Hydration - what you need to know and do to counter night sweats and hot flushes
- Raising your metabolism, building muscle mass and bone density - why you must lift heavy weights
- 5 simple tips to help make your life easier during menopause
To find out more about Dr Juliet McGrattan use these links
Twitter @DrJulietMcG https://twitter.com/DrJulietMcG
FB: @DrJulietMcGrattan https://www.facebook.com/DrJulietMcGrattan/
261 Fearless https://www.261fearless.org
We also chatted about the following resources that you might be interested in
Dr. Stacy Sims book Roar
Menopause Matters website
Research paper on the phenomenon of ’The Active Couch Potato'
To find out more about Simon’s SWAT programme, please click HERE
Visit Simon's website for more information about his coaching programmes
For any questions please email Beth@TheTriathlonCoach.com