SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast: The Good Life Approach - Your weekly podcast with the little extra Solution Focus for your daily life!
SFP 98 – Solution Focus in Practice: Connecting with Rob Black
Manage episode 262328508 series 2115681
SFP 98 - Episode 98: Solution Focus in Practice: Connecting with Rob Black
by Elfie Czerny & Dominik Godat | Simply Focus Podcast |38:07http://www.sfontour.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/SFP-98-Solution-Focus-in-Practice-Connecting-with-Rob-Black-1.m4a
“If you show interest in someone they are more likely to come along with you on that kind of journey.”
“My most successful outcomes with clients, I’ve always had a sense within the first ten minutes of speaking with someone, there is some kind of connection.”
“I just need to find a way of asking that probably makes more sense to him.”
“So, when I’ve joined different teams, which I have, and I tried to explain what I do, they just look at me like ‘What? That’s it, is it? You ask someone what they want. You ask them what that might look like. And you ask them what they did already.’ And I say ‘That’s pretty much it, but there is a lot more to it than that.‘.”Rob Black
In today’s episode, we talk with Rob Black, accredited solution-focused practitioner by the UKASFP, qualified social-worker, clinical team leader at Bath Spa University, about
- what fascinates him with Solution Focus,
- in what settings he is adapting Solution Focus,
- the differences in language when working with different client groups,
- problem-free talk and connecting with our clients,
- what supported him in connecting with young people,
- how he first came across Solution Focus and how watching people do the work helped him develop his practice,
- how he let Insoo guess football results,
- what Guy Shennan would love to see Rob talk on this podcast,
- different detailed stories of how Rob applies Solution Focus with young people,
- silence, giving people space, trusting the process, and adapting the next question to fit (even) better as key elements in SF dialogues,
- pace, enthusiasm, and staying with the client’s perception,
- the art of Solution Focused practice and keeping on learning,
- working virtually with clients and what he discovered about himself,
- establishing an evidence-base for our own work,
- two funny stories with Chris Iveson.
- The challenge of the week: „Notice the times when you used silence effectively and the differences that made in terms of the interaction in the conversation.”
- Find out more about Rob and his work at Bath University.
- Learn more about the UKASFP and the UKASFP’s accreditation program.
- In episode #36 we talked with Scott Miller about his work on the session rating scale & more.
- Meet Elliott Connie in episode #24 and check out the book The Art of Solution Focused Therapy he co-edited with Linda Metcalf.
- Enjoy Guy Shennan in episode #66 and Chris Iveson in episode #77.
- Read More than Miracles by Steve de Shazer and Yvonne M. Dolan and enjoy the chapter on scaling questions.
- Podcasts on evidence-based practice
- SFP 41 – Episode 41: Solution Focus is an Evidence-Based Intervention: The Impact of Research for Solution Focus with Johnny S. Kim, Ph.D., LICSW
- SFP 44 – Episode 44: How to learn to have effective conversations with Sara Smock Jordan, Ph.D., LMFT
- Episode 97: Solution Focus in Schools Works: From Garza Highschool to the Worldwide Evidence with Prof. Cynthia Franklin
- And you might also be interested in watching our interview with Johnny Kim on Youtube.
Join the conversation
Friendpower is stronger than willpower. So, let’s inspire each other! Share your ideas and thoughts on what inspired you about our conversation with Rob and what differences this makes for you in your everyday life. Share as much detail as possible. Your story might be the one making a vital difference for someone else. Your thoughts and ideas matter and might encourage others to keep on going their SF journey. Share this podcast episode with your friends, clients or colleagues who you think might be inspired by this conversation. It could give them some practical ideas on how to apply Solution Focus in their daily life.
Thank you for listening to our podcast. You are awesome! That you listen to our podcast makes a huge difference for us. Please let us know and get in touch with us: Comment below or send us a message and tell us what difference our podcast series makes for you. And please share our podcast with others that might benefit from it and give us an honest rating at iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each and every single one. You really support our show with that as this will make it more likely that other people will find the SIMPLY FOCUS podcast and benefit.
Do you like the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast? Then help Elfie and Dominik spread the word! Donate for the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast!
Listen to more Simply Focus Podcast episodes:
The post SFP 98 – Solution Focus in Practice: Connecting with Rob Black appeared first on SF on tour.