SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast: The Good Life Approach - Your weekly podcast with the little extra Solution Focus for your daily life!
SFP 99 – Introducing Solution Focus in Schools: The kind of teachers we want to be with Sharon Casey
Manage episode 262880841 series 2115681
SFP 99 - Episode 99: Introducing Solution Focus in schools: The kind of teachers we want to be with Sharon Casey
by Elfie Czerny & Dominik Godat | Simply Focus Podcast |38:17http://www.sfontour.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/SFP-99-Introducing-SF-to-Schools-The-kind-of-teachers-we-want-to-be-with-Sharon-Casey.m4a
“What really fascinates me the most is how solution-focused practices act as a second language.”
“Solution-Focused Practice is much more like teaching than traditional therapy. There is a much smaller gap between what we know about good teaching [and Solution Focused Practice].“
“We had to start with some basic concepts and tie it to who they already were as people and get them started. Then it’s like a snowball rolling down a hill. It got bigger and bigger without necessarily a lot of participation on my part. So, to watch that transformation was really rewarding.”Sharon Casey
In today’s episode, we talk with Sharon Casey, Solution-Focused Practitioner, Teacher, Consultant & Trainer, and Co-Organizer of the SFBTA conference in Montreal, about
- what fascinates her about Solution Focus,
- having access to another way of looking at the world,
- what attracted her towards this approach,
- how she started applying SF with teenagers with drug addictions and in the field of suicide prevention,
- what fascinates her about bringing Solution Focus to schools,
- what helped her in bringing SF to schools,
- what changed for the teachers,
- a solution-focused way to start the school year,
- developing the rules together with the children,
- different ways to explore what adolescents want,
- Elfie being really really old,
- how SF fosters sincere and genuine connections with teenagers,
- how you don’t have to get to a 10 on the scale and also value the lower numbers,
- The Challenge of the Week: Look for your sixes, fives or fours: Allow yourself to celebrate your fours and sixes and recognize the effort it takes to get there.
- Learn more about Sharon and her work here on her website.
- Check out all the great resources that Sharon and Brigitte provide on their website in English and French language.
- Find out more about Brenda Zalter-Minden and get an idea why she brought a FROG as a present for Sharon in episode 20: FROG or Forever Recognize Other’s Greatness: Interview with the greatness detective Brenda Zalter-Minden.
- In episode 25 Seeing Opportunities – Pull the Golden Ribbon: An Interview with Brigitte Lavoie, Brigitte describes a very important moment when she was responsible for implementing the SF suicide prevention program in the region of Quebec and how this moment contributed to do it in an SF way.
- Learn more about Garza Highschool here.
- In Europe there are also some very exciting networks emerging regarding SF in Schools:
- At the SF World Day 2020 (May 3rd) Tara Gretton and Katrin Berger started a network for school workers of the European region. There will be online meetings on zoom to encourage the exchange amongst practitioners every 3rd of a month. You can connect on Facebook and also follow them on Eventbrite to book your free of charge tickets for the online gatherings.
- In Switzerland, Katalin Hankovszky Christiansen, Anna-Julia Szabo, and Alice Caduff-Scheuner initiated several online gatherings for SF school practitioners in German-speaking countries featured by the nla-Netzwerk lösungsorientieres Arbeiten Schweiz. The next will take place on June 10, 2020. Please register for this free of charge event here on Eventbrite.
- In Bremen, Katrin Berger, Katalin Hankovszky Christiansen, and Anna-Julia Szabo started a regional network for SF practitioners in schools.
- In the United States, Linda Metcalf started a podcast Solution Focused Schools Unlimited a while ago.
- Learn more about the Solution Focused Brief Therapy Association (SFBTA) and join us at the next conference in Las Vegas!
Join the conversation
Friendpower is stronger than willpower. So, let’s inspire each other! Share your ideas and thoughts on what inspired you about our conversation with Sharon and what differences this makes for you in your everyday life. Share as much detail as possible. Your story might be the one making a vital difference for someone else. Your thoughts and ideas matter and might encourage others to keep on going their SF journey. Share this podcast episode with your friends, clients or colleagues who you think might be inspired by this conversation. It could give them some practical ideas on how to apply Solution Focus in their daily life.
Thank you for listening to our podcast. You are awesome! That you listen to our podcast makes a huge difference for us. Please let us know and get in touch with us: Comment below or send us a message and tell us what difference our podcast series makes for you. And please share our podcast with others that might benefit from it and give us an honest rating at iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and we read each and every single one. You really support our show with that as this will make it more likely that other people will find the SIMPLY FOCUS podcast and benefit.
Do you like the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast? Then help Elfie and Dominik spread the word! Donate for the SIMPLY FOCUS Podcast!
Emily the Frog calling Bibi
Listen to more Simply Focus Podcast episodes:
The post SFP 99 – Introducing Solution Focus in Schools: The kind of teachers we want to be with Sharon Casey appeared first on SF on tour.