Manage episode 172770867 series 1352696
Welcome to the Simply Joyful Podcast
Episode #006 with Heidi St. John
Show Notes: KristiClover.com/006
Biblical Encouragement for Busy Moms
Motherhood is not easy. We all can use encouragement along the way. Well, Heidi St. John is a master encourager! What I love about Heidi is that she’s not afraid to be very real and vulnerable about her “busy” life as a wife, mom of seven, and ministry leader. Heidi’s passion is sharing biblical encouragement — and boy, does she share a lot with us today.
Heidi is a dynamic speaker and has a very popular blog called The Busy Mom. Equally as popular is her podcast, The Busy Mom. You’ll hear more about how Heidi inspired me when I first heard her speak over seven years ago.
On a “Simply” & “Joyful” Note…
Heidi has some great advice on how she simplifies…she shares it right after she laughs at me for asking the “busy mom” how she lives more “simply.” Ha! Hey, even busy moms can find ways to simplify their lives…and she has some great advice.
(Warning: This interview was so long that this part is shared in part two. So, make sure you listen in to that episode, too! It will release Monday, February 27th!)
In This Episode:
In this episode Heidi and I chat about the struggles facing moms today. We discuss joy stealers like busyness and playing the comparison game. This podcast interview was so awesome…and long…that I split it into two episodes. That’s what happens when you put two chatty people together. What’s really funny is that we chatted for about 15 minutes before we started recording. Just think how long it would have been if I’d started recording that, too.
I know you are going to just love this incredibly encouraging episode with Heidi!
Highlights from This Show & Words to Remember:
- Heidi’s passion is biblical encouragement and turning the hearts of parents back to the Word of God for the direction of their families and for raising their children.
- I share about my backstory on how Heidi inspired me to start writing and blogging on homeschooling.
- I mention my insomnia story in this episode. I share all about my 20+ year insomnia story HERE.
- We talk about busyness — of course! — and the importance of spending time in the Word and our need to consult the Lord!
“If you want to get something done, ask a busy person.” —Heidi St. John
“My version of sane is someone else's version of crazy. It all comes down to what God's called us and equipped us to do." —Heidi St. John
“We get messed up when we get busy doing things that God has not called us to do.” —Heidi St. John
"Women need more time than we give ourselves…to hear the Lord and be still.” —Heidi St. John
- The comparison trap is a joy stealer. We also talk about some of the common lies that women listen to — even women in the Bible! (The story of Sarai & Hagar)
“One of the lies that moms fall for is the lie that our kids have to be doing everything.” —Heidi St. John
"It's a game changer when we begin to pray and bring things to the Lord. It makes a total difference in my day when I don't take my stuff before the Lord.” —Heidi St. John
- Busyness can interfere with our time with God and can affect generations to come.
"Everyone is working backwards with priorities. (Moms) fill their schedules, which makes their whole lives busy, then they focus on their kids…and maybe on their husbands next. Then God is absolutely last." — Kristi Clover
"Those are the priorities that God lays down in His word. People say, “Where did you come up with that?” I didn't. God came up with it. Don't shoot the messenger!" —Heidi St. John
- We also talked about how legalism can push the younger generation away from the Lord.
"Due to legalism, kids are walking away from the Lord, rejecting the faith of their parents because they were raised with rules and not relationships which is a departure from the word of God.” —Heidi St. John
- Satan can make himself look small and insignificant so we don’t notice him. (1 Peter 5:8)
“The devil doesn't care what ditch he knocks you into, as long as you are in the ditch.” —Heidi St. John
- We referenced my podcast episode with Jill Savage podcast and how “slow fades” in marriage start small and become big.
- We laughed about Heidi’s recent podcast series on sex that she recorded with her husband, Jay.
- Heidi references her book "The Busy Mom's Guide to Romance" and God's design for sex.
- I shared my embarrassing story about when I misread the cover of Bill & Pam Farrell’s Red-Hot Monogamy book.
- Heidi just did an episode entitled Hot Monogamy on her podcast HERE.
"Marriages couples who are walking with God should have the best sex on the planet.” —Heidi St. John
"God gave sex to you. It wasn't just for procreation. God could have made it as boring as He wanted to. He didn't. He made it amazing. We're the ones who screw it up.” —Heidi St. John
- Heidi has a new book coming this fall called Becoming Mom Strong. She shares her inspiration behind the book.
“Motherhood is a refining process. God is trying to teach us something through the process of raising children.” —Heidi St. John
- Heidi shares a bit about the physical abuse in her childhood and anxiety that she dealt with. (2 Corinthians 12:9 & Romans 8:28)
“God wants to use those things that were hard in your life.” —Heidi St. John
* We start to talk about how womanhood is under attack…
STAY TUNED FOR PART TWO OF THE INTERVIEW TO HEAR MORE!
- Busy Homeschool Mom's Guide to Daylight by Heidi St. John
- Busy Homeschool Mom's Guide to Romance by Heidi St. John
- Red-Hot Monogamy by Bill and Pam Farrell
-- Genesis 16: The story of Sarai & Hagar
-- Judges 6: Gideon did not beseech the Lord
"He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom and gently lead those that are with young."-- Isaiah 40:11 (ESV)
"Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour."-- 1 Peter 5:8 (ESV)
"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me."-- 2 Corinthians 12:9 (ESV)
"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."-- Romans 8:28 (ESV)
- Every podcast episode will have all the highlights and links from each episode (just like this) on my website. So, come on over to the blog to find the show notes.
- Be sure to grab your FREE copy of my book, Sanity Savers for Moms, by joining our Simply Joyful community. It's a great way to keep in touch...and get subscriber only freebies like my book. Click HERE to get the book and join!
- Make sure you head over to listen to my other interviews HERE! I know you will love these episodes!
Help Get the Word Out:
My prayer is that this podcast would be a blessing to all who hear it. If you enjoy this podcast, it would be such a blessing to have you "Subscribe" to this podcast on iTunes or Stitcher and leave me a rating and review. This helps the podcast to rank in iTunes and be more "visible" for people searching for new podcasts to listen to. If you wanted to share this episode with friends or on social media, I've created several great images that are share-worthy. Thanks!
*My "Thank You" for Your Rating & Review on iTunes or Stitcher*
If you do subscribe, rate, & review this podcast in iTunes or Stitcher, I'd love to thank you by giving you my new Sanity Savers for Moms Coloring Book for FREE! Just leave the review and email me, and I'll send you a coupon code to access the coloring book! (See show notes for details)
Thank you so much for helping us get the word out about the Simply Joyful Podcast!
I hope you enjoyed this week's podcast! My prayer is always that you will be blessed and encouraged by each episode.
Live Simply. Be Joyful.
Connect with Heidi:
Heidi St John has delighted tens of thousands of readers through her blog, podcast, Facebook page, and her books. Her transparent style and her rich sense of humor combine to draw her readers into what feels like a very personal conversation over a cup of coffee. It's like sitting and talking with a friend.
Heidi’s ability to bypass our prejudices and preconceptions allows her to speak directly to the heart of every reader and listener as she offers wisdom, inspiration, and grace to those who are all-too-often feeling overwhelmed by all that’s on their plate.
Check out more of Heidi's books HERE on Amazon -- and be sure to listen in to her incredible podcast HERE! You can find all of Heidi's posts and podcast episodes on her website at www.heidistjohn.com.
46 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 50 mins duration .