Mustafa Akyol on jailing journalists in Turkey, ‘re-educating’ Uyghurs in China, and cultural conformity in America
Manage episode 231557699 series 1750695
On today’s episode of So to Speak, we sit down with Cato Institute Senior Fellow Mustafa Akyol to discuss threats to freedom of thought and expression around the world, with a particular focus on situations in Turkey and China.
Akyol has been described by CNN’s Fareed Zakaria as “Turkey’s finest political analyst.” Prior to joining Cato, he was a senior fellow at The Freedom Project at Wellesley College, where he learned a thing or two about illiberalism in America. He is also a regular contributing opinion writer for The New York Times.
- Podcast transcript
- Bios and bibliographies: http://www.mustafaakyol.org/, https://www.cato.org/people/mustafa-akyol, https://www.nytimes.com/column/mustafa-akyol
- FIRE Investigates: An (il)liberal arts education at Wellesley College
- “China’s Gulag for Muslims”
- “One Month, 500,000 Face Scans: How China is Using A.I. to Profile a Minority”
- “The New Gulag Archipelago: How China “Reeducates” the Uyghurs and Why the World Should Be Alarmed” (Video of Cato Institute panel)
90 episodes available. A new episode about every 13 days averaging 64 mins duration .