Manage episode 204411342 series 1745938
Emily Chapman Richards is the vice president of Show Hope, an organization whose mission is to care for orphans and reduce barriers to adoption. Show Hope was founded by Emily’s parents Steven Curtis and Mary Beth Chapman. If those names sound familiar, it is because her mother is a New York Times Best-Selling author and her father is a 5-time Grammy Award Winning recording artist.
Born and raised in Franklin, TN, Emily has enjoyed watching Show Hope grow from a dream in her parents’ heart to an organization that has helped thousands of children come to know the love of a family. Emily met her husband, Tanner, on a blind date at a local Starbucks. Married in 2008, Tanner and Emily are the proud parents to three beautiful ladies—Eiley, Della, and Verity.
After earning her BA in International Studies and Religion from Baylor University (‘07), Emily continued her education while living abroad, graduating from Queen’s University Belfast (‘12) with a Masters of Theology. Emily enjoys traveling and talking theology over a cup of coffee. She is a visionary and a dreamer, and has long remained a passionate advocate for adoption and orphan care efforts.
In today’s episode, we discuss:
- Growing up as the daughter of a Grammy-Award winning artist
- Persuading her parents to adopt a child
- The origins and mission of Show Hope
- The fun story of how her parents met
- Dealing with tragedy
Show Hope Website: www.ShowHope.org
Show Hope Twitter: @ShowHope
- Between Heaven and the Real World by Steven Curtis Chapman
- Choosing to SEE: A Journey of Struggle and Hope by Mary Beth Chapman
- A Grief Observed by CS Lewis
- Lament for a Son by Nicholas Wolterstorff
- Love Kindness: Discover the Power of the Forgotten Virtue by Barry Corey
Past "Success is a Choice" podcast episodes of interest . . .
- Ken Coleman (EntreLeadership Podcast) - Episode 072
- Todd Gongwer ("LEAD ... for God's Sake") - Episode 062
- Amy Morin ("13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't Do") - Episode 060
- Michael Catt (Pastor & Producer of "Facing the Giants" and "Courageous") - Episode 049
- Jason Romano (Sports Spectrum Radio) - Episode 045
- Mike Hamilton (Exec. Director of Show Hope) - Episode 043
- Mridu Parikh (Productivity Coach from Nashville) - Episode 020
- Julie & Greg Gorman (Authors of "Two are Better than One") - Episode 012
Today’s podcast is brought to you by audible – get a FREE audiobook download and 30-day free trial (new subscribers only) at www.audibletrial.com/SuccessIsAChoice. Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player. Our friends at audible are offering a free audio download of either Steven Curtis Chapman or Mary Beth Chapman's audio book (or another book if you already have those). Take advantage of this great deal and download an audio book today by visiting www.AudibleTrial.com/SuccessIsAChoice.