Manage episode 223475339 series 1745938
Christopher Parker is the President and Chief Executive Officer of the National Junior College Athletic Association. Dr. Parker is responsible for all oversight of the country’s second largest athletic association. He is charged with leading all aspects of the association and its 512 member colleges, while enhancing the opportunities for student-athletes and member institutions. His daily duties are to provide overarching leadership of all aspects with special concentration on membership growth, financial stability, and organizational growth. Dr. Parker gives national presentations throughout the country and works hard to represent every single region across the nation. He has coached Division I baseball, while also starting the first ever NJCAA athletic program in the Virginia Community College System where he served as both the athletic director and head baseball coach. Dr. Parker also served PHCC in a number of other capacities to include: Director of Student Life, Assistant Dean of Arts and Sciences, Dean of Academics, Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Campus Life, and Athletics, Executive Director of the PHCC Foundation and Real Estate Foundation, as well as adjunct instructor. He also went on to serve Pfeiffer University as Vice President where he was in charge of enrollment at all levels, financial aid, marketing, and public Relations. During his time at Pfeiffer, the university experienced the largest incoming freshmen class in more than 30 years. Dr. Parker has taught adjunct for more than 7 different institutions nationally, while specializing in sports management, leadership, and exercise. Christopher also served as the assistant men’s director and the women’s director of Region 10 of the NJCAA for seven years, while also overseeing the treasury duties. In addition, Dr. Parker served as the Executive Director of the Patrick County Education Foundation under former Virginia Governor Gerald Baliles.In today’s episode, we discuss:
- The benefits of going to a community college
- Leadership initiatives and programs that make the NJCAA special
- Former athletes such as Jimmy Butler and Cam Newton, who started off at the NJCAA level
- Recruiting advice for parents
- ... and so much more!!!
NJCAA Website: NJCAA.org
NJCAA Twitter: @NJCAA
NJCAA Instagram: @NJCAA
NJCAA Facebook: Facebook.com/njcaa
NJCAA Youtube: Youtube.com/channel/UCRU5pBKHzUibLWG0rvEhEGw
Articles of Interest ...
- USA TODAY High School Sports: Recruiting Column: Interview with NJCAA Executive Director, Dr. Chris Parker
- Martinsville Bulletin: Parker leaves PHCC with legacy of success
- NJCAA: Chris Parker named new NJCAA Executive Director
Past "Success is a Choice" podcast episodes of interest . . .
- Eric Platte (Atlanta Hawks Vice-President of Ticket Sales) – Episode 097
- Lorenzo Brown (NBA Player and 2018 NBA G-League MVP) – Episode 096
- Travis Daugherty (Author of “The Lens” and Indiana H.S. Basketball Coach) - Episode 063
- R- Jay Barsh (Southeastern University Men’s Basketball Coach) - Episode 046
- Jason Romano (Sports Spectrum Radio) - Episode 045
- Shawn Silman (San Jacinto College Dean of Liberal Arts) - Episode 028
- Pat Williams (Orlando Magic Co-Founder & Sr. VP) - Episode 004
- Dwane Casey (2018 NBA Coach of the Year) - Episode 001
Today’s podcast is brought to you by audible – get a FREE audiobook download and 30-day free trial (new subscribers only) at www.audibletrial.com/SuccessIsAChoice. Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player. Our friends at audible are offering a free download of some of our past guests including Todd Gongwer, Kevin Harrington, Lolly Daskal, Bob Burg, Amy Morin, Michael Burt, Larry Winget, Jon Gordon, and Pat Williams. Take advantage of this great deal by visiting www.AudibleTrial.com/SuccessIsAChoice.
Please consider rating the podcast with 5 stars and leaving a quick review on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are the lifeblood of a podcast. This helps tremendously in bringing the podcast to the attention of others.
You can tell your friends on Twitter about this episode by sharing the tweet below or spreading the word by using the share buttons below.
Thanks again for listening and remember that “Success is a choice. What choice will you make today?”
124 episodes available. A new episode about every 8 days averaging 32 mins duration .