Manage episode 225227119 series 1745938
Kara Lawson is the Washington Wizards' TV analyst and former star player at the University of Tennessee, as well as in the WNBA. She first joined ESPN in 2004 as a women’s college basketball analyst while playing point guard for the Sacramento Monarchs of the WNBA. She has served in a variety of capacities – game and studio analyst, play-by-play and sideline reporter while covering men’s and women’s college basketball as well as the NBA. Lawson was a member of the Women’s Basketball Olympic Team, which won a gold medal in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, and she captained the US Team to a gold medal in the 2011 World University Games. Overall, in addition to winning an Olympic Gold Medal, she has won a WNBA title, been a WNBA all-star, won two high school state championships while also competing in the NCAA Final Four as a member of the Lady Vols. Off the court, Lawson is a passionate advocate for fitness and personal health. She is a member of the Former First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move Campaign, is active with Race for the Cure and also volunteers for the American Cancer Society. In 2010, Lawson began working with various chapters of the Alzheimer’s Association.
In Today's Episode We Discuss:
- Playing for Pat Summitt at Tennessee
- How athletes can be better leaders
- What qualities make up a great coach
- . . . and so much more!!!
Official WNBA Player Page: Wnba.com/player/kara-lawson
Articles of Interest ...
- Lawson Appointed to UT Board of Trustees
- Wizards Make Lawson One of First Female Primary TV Analysts in NBA
- Hatford Courant: Summitt's Influence On Former Players Goes Far Beyond Basketball Court
- On Tap Magazine: Game Changer: Wizards Analyst Kara Lawson
- WAMU: Kara Lawson Makes History As Wizards’ First Female Primary TV Analyst
Past "Success is a Choice" podcast episodes of interest . . .
- Jon Gordon (Author of “The Energy Bus”) - Episode 100
- Eric Platte (Atlanta Haws VP of Ticket Sales) - Episode 097
- Lorenzo Brown (NBA Player and 2018 NBA G-League MVP) – Episode 096
- Sue Enquist (Hall of Fame Softball Coach) - Episode 077
- Amy Morin (“13 Things Mentally Strong People Do”) - Episode 060
- Alicia Jessop (Pepperdine Sports Law Professor & Founder of Ruling Sports) – Episode 047
- Celia Slater (Founder of True North Sports & the Alliance of Women’s Coaches) – Episode 030
- Kevin Harrington (original shark on "Shark Tank") - Episode 021
- Betsy Butterick (The Coaches’ Coach & Communication Specialist) – Episode 013
- Dwane Casey (2018 NBA Coach of the Year) - Episode 001
Today’s podcast is brought to you by audible – get a FREE audiobook download and 30-day free trial (new subscribers only) at www.audibletrial.com/SuccessIsAChoice. Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player. Our friends at audible are offering a free download of some of our past guests including Todd Gongwer, Kevin Harrington, Lolly Daskal, Bob Burg, Amy Morin, Michael Burt, Larry Winget, and Pat Williams. Take advantage of this great deal by visiting www.AudibleTrial.com/SuccessIsAChoice.Rate and Review
Please consider rating the podcast with 5 stars and leaving a quick review on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are the lifeblood of a podcast. This helps tremendously in bringing the podcast to the attention of others.
Thanks again for listening and remember that “Success is a choice. What choice will you make today?”