Manage episode 240933372 series 1745938
Dr. Jon Steinbrecher is the commissioner of the Mid-American Conference. He has held the position since 2009. He was previously the commissioner of the Ohio Valley Conference.
In July of 2019, Steinbrecher became the first Division 1 commissioner to be elected to a NCAA council leadership position when he was elected as vice chair of the NCAA Division 1 Council.
Steinbrecher has previously worked on the NCAA Football Oversight Committee and the NCAA Football Competition Committee, and currently serves on the NCAA Transfer Working Group, as well as the Developmental Model Council of USA Football.
Steinbrecher is the only commissioner in the NCAA’s first division to serve as a commissioner at all three levels of the first division, which includes the Football Bowl Subdivision, the Football Championship Subdivision and the rest of Division 1. Steinbrecher was previously the commissioner of the D-1 Summit Division (1994-2003) and the Ohio Valley Conference (2003-2009.)In today’s episode, we discuss:
- #MACtion and where that term came from
- Student-athlete mental health
- Developing student-athlete leadership
- Issues such as transfers and paying players
- ... and so much more!!!
Resources, Books, and Links
Articles of Interest . . .
- Q&A with Jon Steinbrecher
- Commissioner Comments from MAC Media Day
- Jon Steinbrecher Elected Vice Chair of NCAA Division 1 Council
- MAC Commissioner Discusses Student-Athlete Mental Health
- Yo ho ho! MAC schools have a sweet pirate flag to fly after big wins
Past "Success is a Choice" podcast episodes of interest . . .
- Dan Hughes (2018 WNBA Coach of the Year) – Episode 120
- Jim Carr (NAIA President) – Episode 116
- Tim Dimoff (Security & Risk Expert) – Episode 101
- Keith Grabowski (USA Football) – Episode 083
- Curtis Holloman (NCAA Director of Leadership Development) – Episode 064
- Shemy Schembechler (son of Hall of Fame coach Bo Schembechler) – Episode 042
- Keith Lipscomb (ESPN.com Fantasy Football Senior Editor) – Episode 026
- Larry DeSimpelare (Crossroads League Commissioner) – Episode 016
Today’s podcast is brought to you by audible – get a FREE audiobook download and 30-day free trial (new subscribers only) at www.audibletrial.com/SuccessIsAChoice. Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player. Our friends at audible are offering a free download of some of our past guests including Todd Gongwer, Kevin Harrington, Lolly Daskal, Bob Burg, Amy Morin, Michael Burt, Larry Winget, Jon Gordon, and Pat Williams. Take advantage of this great deal by visiting www.AudibleTrial.com/SuccessIsAChoice.Rate and Review
Please consider rating the podcast with 5 stars and leaving a quick review on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are the lifeblood of a podcast. This helps tremendously in bringing the podcast to the attention of others.
Thanks again for listening and remember that “Success is a choice. What choice will you make today?”