Manage episode 253249778 series 1469447
In this episode of Syntax, Scott and Wes talk about web dev GUIs — what are they, are they going to replace developers, are they good or bad, and more!Hasura - Sponsor
Hasura is an open source real-time GraphQL engine. It connects to your databases & microservices and instantly gives you a production-ready GraphQL API. Check it out at Hasura.io.LogRocket - Sponsor
LogRocket lets you replay what users do on your site, helping you reproduce bugs and fix issues faster. It’s an exception tracker, a session re-player and a performance monitor. Get 14 days free at logrocket.com/syntax.Show Notes
1:30 - What is “codeless”?
- The codeless movement is coming in with a force. Are they just selling something? Or is it a real concern?
- All types of jobs are being replaced by computers
- Why not web developers?
7:22 - First experience building sites with a GUI?
10:18 - Entire website builders:
13:17 - When are GUIs useful?
- Brochure site
- Basic e-commerce
20:26 - Is a GUI/Codeless always better?
- It depends what you’re capable of doing
25:21 - Levels of hell GUI assistance in builders
- CMS - Just modifying content and basic markup
- Access to code, drag blocks into place
- No or minimal access to code
- No modification outside of options
31:36 - Are there GUIs for making applications?
- Native Mobile
36:54 - Are jobs at risk?
- I think a lot of WordPress tinkering has already been replaced
- The guy who knows what buttons to push is at risk?
- Webmaster jobs where the roll was just occasionally updating HTML and text
- Educational institutions
- Major corporations that can’t have their content stored via a service
39:55 - Our favorite GUIs to help development
- Roomba’s first autonomous lawnmower
- Scott: How To Build A GraphQL API - Sign up for the year and save 25%!
- Wes: All Courses - Use the coupon code ‘Syntax’ for $10 off!