Manage episode 244965250 series 2394211
While currently living in Thailand, Matthew Baltzell works as an analyst for Boardwalk Wealth. He also hosts the Real Estate Journeys podcast where he focuses on helping investors acquire 100 units to become location independent.
- Raised in Denver, sold everything and traveled to Berlin and then Thailand
- He and his wife are expecting his first child (it’s a boy)
- Leveraged BiggerPockets and virtual meetups to start connecting with investors in the US to get started in multifamily
- Works with Boardwalk Wealth on analyzing deals and other tasks
- Wants to help investors get 100 units to be location independent
- Team Sport for Commercial Apartments: Underwriter, limited partners, general partners, attorneys, contractors, property managers, etc.
- Why 100 units? Clearing $100 per door with 100 units ($10k per month, $120k annually) should be a good freedom number for many investors
- You don’t want $1MM, you want a $1MM lifestyle
- Jacksonville and Atlanta are seeing strong YOY rent growth
- Like markets with over 1 MM population in the MSA
- Rents 10-15% below market value
- Launched Real Estate Journeys to get his name out and connect with investors
Bull’s Eye Tips:
How has a failure or apparent failure, set you up for later success?
Went belly up managing 10 SFRs for his mother
Most Recommended Book:
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Most Recommended Digital/Mobile Resource:
Going to the gym
Wish I Knew Starting Out
To not be afraid of thinking big
Real World Advice
You are your greatest asset. Don’t let someone else’s perception of you become your perception of you.
Being a parent, technology and global economics
Best Place to Grab a Bite
Thailand Restaurants Don’t Really Have Names
Real Estate Journeys
“If I can start from thousands of miles around the world in Thailand, you can start today.”
Connect with Matthew: