Manage episode 226141822 series 2002009
Vincent Horn spent his 20's co-founding the ground breaking Buddhist Geeks while attending a full year of silent meditation practice on a retreat. A computer engineering drop out turned full time contemplative - Vincent combines the traditional mindfulness practices of Buddhist practice and teaches them in a modern way. He has been called a “power player of the mindfulness movement” by Wired magazine and was honored to be featured in Wired UK’s “Smart List: 50 people who will change the world.” He lives in Winston-Salem, North Carolina with his teaching & life partner Emily and their son Zander.
In this episode you'll learn about:
- Paying attention to what is at the forefront of your focus when you're using your smartphone [1:02]
- How Vincent left his engineering program to become a full time meditator and waiter [03:26]
- The teachers he studied with in the Buddhist world and their relationship to technology [6:26]
- The mindfulness movement from traditional to more modern ways of teaching [10:10]
- Translation of Buddhism and Mindfulness into the modern world [11:36]
- How technology has helped people to find their way into mindfulness and meditation [16:23]
- What drives people to mindfulness practice and the expectations that they have [17:16]
- How he has managed to engage people in meditation via the internet [20:23]
- The practice and benefits of social noting [27:53]
- How people can participate in any meditations with Buddhist Geeks and pragmatic dharma training [29:44]
- Ways in which online training can be beneficial over in person training [38:27]
Connect with Vincent:
Listen to Buddhist Geeks:
On each episode of the Technology For Mindfulness Podcast, Robert Plotkin, co-creator of the “Hack Your Mind” series at MIT, explores the intersection between the practice of mindfulness & the use of technology in the modern age. Show notes can be found at TechnologyForMindfulness.com/. Come back often & feel free to subscribe in iTunes or add the Technology For Mindfulness Podcast to your favorite podcast application.
Follow us on:
Subscribe to the Technology For Mindfulness Podcast via:
Music courtesy of Tobu - Colors [NCS Release]
51 episodes available. A new episode about every 15 days averaging 46 mins duration .