Manage episode 247343446 series 2002009
In this episode, Ariel Garten joins us for a conversation about how her company’s device, Muse, provides you with real-time feedback about your own internal state while you meditate. Muse is a brain-sensing headband that tracks your brain activity and uses sound as a stimulus to get your brain back to focusing on your breath.
Throughout the conversation, Ariel begins by talking extensively about the benefits that Muse provides and how it actively helps people develop their meditation skills. She also discusses how to determine the age of the brain, how meditation benefits everyone, and the direction that Muse is headed.
Some Questions I Ask:
- What benefits does Muse provide? (4:54)
- How do the charts help with reflection post-meditation? (12:00)
- Tell me about your background. (15:41)
- What has surprised you from your research? (19:53)
- Where is Muse headed? (24:22)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How Muse helps with meditation. (4:03)
- How Ariel and her team created an algorithm that identifies focused attention vs mind wandering. (18:10)
- How alpha peak frequency changes with the decade of the user’s age. (20:14)
- How your mind is like the weather. (27:46)
- Tips for beginners. (30:40)
Connect with Ariel Garten: