Manage episode 184356572 series 1068570
People That Had a Good Week
- Nationals Max Scherzer hit his first career HR
- Cubs Jon Lester hit his first homerun as well
- Evan Longoria became the second Tampa Bay Ray to hit for the cycle
- Dellin Betances of the Yankees threw nine pitches, for nine strikes, striking out the side. Became 87th pitcher to ever do so.
- Steve Bartman was gifted a World Series ring
- Columbus Crew 10-11-2 – This saturday at San Jose, next saturday at home against a struggling chicago fire
- Cleveland Indians – 57-48, 1st in American League Central
- Cincinnati Reds – 44-63, 5th in National League Central
- Baltimore Orioles – 53-54, 4th in American League East
- Phillies – 39-66 , 5th in National League East
This Week In Sports History
- 1914 Yankee catcher Nunamaker throws out 3 would be stealers in 1 inning
- 1921 1st radio baseball broadcast Pirates-8, Phillies-5 (KDKA, Pitts)
- by KDKA staff announcer Harold Arlin
- the world’s first full-time and salaried announcer in broadcast radio
- Tom Brady turns 40
MLS Rejects $4 Billion Media Rights Deal
Major League Soccer rejected a $4 billion global media rights deal from international media company MP & Silva, as reported by the Sports Business Journal.
The offer, which would have quadrupled the annual rate of MLS’ current deal, came with the significant contingency that MLS would have to institute a system of promotion and relegation.
- Would relegation be a good thing in the MLS?
- Could pull up teams from the second tier NASL (offer came from co-owner of NASL Miami FC)
US Open Cup and FC Cincinnati
- First non-MLS team to make it to the US Open Cup Semi-finals since 2011
- They will play the NY Red Bulls, Tuesday August 15
- Have beat teams like Chicago, Columbus (won in 2002)
- US Open Cup large tournament with 99 teams, MLS doesn’t start until 4th round.
- May remember Christos FC back in June because they made it to 4th.
Would You Rather
Take an unblocked sack from Myles Garett or a free kick to the face from any two members of FC Cincinnati?
Will Steph Curry make the cut at the Web.com Tour’s Ellie Mae Classic? Geoff: No, John: Yes
Last Week: Will Kyrie Irving get traded this week? (he was not)
John (15-12-2) yes
Geoff (14-13-2) no
UPDATE: Steph Curry was given a non-penalized drop shot on day one because he hit it into a man-made obstacle. A drop from the landscape would be a stroke, but golf carts or paths allow a non-penalized drop. Thanks to our golf expert Joel Metzker for the explanation.
344 episodes available. A new episode about every day averaging 24 mins duration .