The 300 Pounds and Running Podcast: Running Tips | Running Advice | Running Interviews | Running Inspiration | 5k |10k | Half-Marathon | 26.2 | Marathon | Couch to 5K | C25K
300PAR 004.5: What Does It Mean to Be A Plus-Size Runner W/ Latoya Snell
Manage episode 170406402 series 1334853
Aight goal crushers in this episode we talk with Latoya Shauntay Snell. She’s fit. She’s fat. She’s an athlete. Latoya is the founder of Running Fat Chef blog. She describes her blog as a uncensored journey filled with spontaneity, ups and downs, eating like a fat ass on a budget while maintaining your marbles, fitness and livelihood. In this podcast Latoya Shauntay Snell talks to us about who she is, her evolving relationship with running, her advice for dealing with haters/doubters and lastly she gives new runners advice to help them crush their goals.
"Other people’s fears will paralysis your progress if you let it" - Latoya Shauntay Snell
- 0:23 - Who is Latoya Snell? - I am a potty mouth rebel that enjoys doing marathons!
- 0:50 - Latoya discusses how her job, becoming a parent and marrying young played a role in her her weight loss and gain journey.
- 4:42 - Time for action - Latoya discusses how she discovered she had sciatica and how the diagnoses lead to change. Latoya -”One day I bent over and I couldn’t get up.”
- 9:23 - Latoya reflects on her first time trying out Shaun T’s Insanity workout
- 10:37 - Learn how Latoya first got into running - “I was suckered into running. I thought it was cool to go to the track. I had no couch to 5k...I just jumped into it.”
- 13:30 - Latoya discusses the early obstacles she faced when she first started running
- 16:07 - Latoya talks about her family's reaction to her running
- 21:36 - Learn about the impact that running has had on Latoya’s life - “Running is my therapy.”
- 25:49 - Learn what product that Latoya can’t live without
- 30:37 - How many races do you think Latoya has completed? Quick hint...it’s more than 50 AND that not including obstacle courses!
- 31:59 - Latoya’s most challenging race and her biggest takeaway - “When you hit a wall...keep moving!”
- 44:46 - Learn about Latoya's blog: “Running Fat Chef” and her motivations to start blogging - “The goal is to be comfortable in your own skin.”
- 52:52 - Latoya discusses body dysmorphia, depression and her love of internet trolls - “There are times I am astonished by ignorance; We idolize photoshop”
- 57:47 - What would Latoya tell her pass/younger self - “You are so much stronger than you think. Do not doubt the process.”
- 59:57 - Latoya gives words of advice for those that are new to running or starting a weight loss journey - “Put one foot in front of another.” “Don’t be the hare be the tortoise.”
- 1:09:29 - Latoya gives her favorite weight loss and running resources - “Sometimes a Google Search can’t solve all of your problems”
- 1:05:33 - Guess Latoya’s favorite workout songs - There is something for everyone in this mix!
- 1:08:35 - What are Latoya’s goals this year
- 1:11:36 - Latoya’s special message for the doubters and haters - “Hurt people..hurt people.”
- 1:18:18 - Words of Wisdom from Latoya - “Keep fighting the good fight!”
- Zero to Running E-Book
- Shaun T Insanity
- Black Girls Run
- Body Glide
- Skirt Sports
- Old Navy
- Latoya in Buzzfeed - Here’s What It’s Like To Be A Plus-Size Athlete
- National Institute of Health
- U S Food and Drug Administration Home Page
- C25K: Couch to 5K - Cool Running
- Finatticz - Don't Drop That Thun Thun
- Army Running Cadence "HardWork"
- Marilyn Manson - The Beautiful People
- Donny Hathaway - A Song For You
- Eminem - Till I Collapse
- North Face Endurance Challenge
How do I contact Latoya Snell?
- Running Fat Chef Blog - http://www.runningfatchef.com/
- Latoya Shauntay Snell's Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/iamlshauntay/
- Latoya Shauntay Snell's Twitter - @latoyashauntay
- Running Fat Chef Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/runningfatchef/
Getting a 5-star rating and/or written review is incredibly important for this show. It helps with ranking and with generating the necessary exposure that gets this podcast out in front of other runners. But it is even more important to me!
I read each and every comment and really take them all to heart. They provide encouragement that what I am doing is getting noticed and that the show is getting listened to.
I am so thankful to those who have recently gone into iTunes to provide a five-star rating and written a review of the 300 Pounds and Running Podcast. That’s why I’m asking YOU to please provide your boy rating and/or write a review on iTunes. You can do so by following the instructions below:
- 1) Go to the show’s iTunes Page or search “300 Pounds and Running” from iTunes if you aren’t already a subscriber.
- 2) Open the page in the iTunes app, and click on the number of stars for the rating you think I deserve.
- 3) Write a sentence or two to share your comments. A million thanks in advance!
35 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 45 mins duration .