Manage episode 181737098 series 1231990
Did you know that in the 18th, 19th and early 20th Centuries there were some extraordinary women explorers? You might be forgiven for not knowing this. However is out to change all of that. Meet Jacki Hill-Murphy.
Jacki is an explorer, teacher, film-maker and author. Jacki has recreated and written about the journeys of early female explorers like:
- Isabel Godin, the first known woman to travel the length of the Amazon;
- Mary Kingsley, who climbed Mount Cameroon in 1885;
- Isabella Bird who journeyed over the Digar Pass in 1890;
- Kate Marsden, the extraordinary adventuress who travelled by horse and sledge across Siberia (and also the subject of Jacki’s forthcoming book The Extraordinary Tale of Kate Marsden)
There is loads of interesting stuff to these women – from their motivations for their journeys, the role they had in their societies, to the contributions they made. Jacki is the perfect person to tell their tales.
In this wonderful conversation we cover:
- Jacki’s background, including her love of travel and an amazing year-long pan-African trip she took in 1988;
- The inspiration to recreate the journeys of these Adventuresses;
- Stories from Jacki’s travels to the Amazon, Siberia, the Himalayas, and more;
- The historical context within which these women carried out their journeys;
- The fascinating Kate Marsden who is the subject of Jacki’s forthcoming book;
- Travel and the unknown
- Loads more!
Jacki on Twitter: https://twitter.com/jackihillmurphy
Feature on Jacki in The Daily Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/meet-the-woman-retracing-the-steps-of-our-forgotten-female-explo/
Launch event for Jacki’s new book: The Extraordinary Tale of Kate Marsden
Thor Heyerdahl’s Kon-Tiki: Across the Pacific in a Raft
Subscribe and/or leave a rating and review on:
- iTunes: http://apple.co/1PjLmKh
- Subscribe on Stitcher: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/all-things-risk/the-all-things-risk-podcast
- Subscribe on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ben-cattaneo
85 episodes available. A new episode about every 9 days averaging 76 mins duration .