Manage episode 182963559 series 1231990
This is a discussion that encompasses technology, health, innovation, the future, and of course risk and uncertainty. It raises a number of fascinating and challenging questions around personal freedom and public protection. Today, we’re talking transhumanism.
My guest is Michele Battle-Fisher. Michele was my guest on episode 20. She is a respected systems theorist, bioethicist and futurist. Michele is an adjunct professor at Wright State University in Ohio, USA. She is also a co-producer of an upcoming documentary called “Transhuman”. If that rings a bell, it might be because I had Ford Fisher, the documentary’s other co-producer on episode 36 of All Things Risk.
If you listened to that episode, you know that transhumanism is the belief or theory that through technology, we can evolve beyond our mental and physical limitations. It includes things like biohacking, genetic engineering and life extension. It is exciting, but also raises a number of questions and uncertainties.
We explore these in this episode. For instance, if someone wants to hack their body, why should anyone interfere? As you’ll hear, it can get complicated. Michele and I discuss:
- Transhumanism and personal freedoms;
- Whether or not these technologies should be regulated, and the constraints that might create for innovation;
- Unexpected consequences, risks and uncertainties associated with transhumanism;
- For instance what happens if the body rejects some of the changes to which it may be subjected?;
- Transhumanism and inequality;
- "Dark networks" and black market transhumanism;
- Loads more!
Michele’s webpage: mbattlefisher.com She has a page dedicated to both the documentary as well as to her book Application of Systems Thinking to Health Policy and Public Health Ethics which is a 2016 Doody’s core title, selected as “essential” to medical knowledge.
Michele on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MBattlefisher
Michele on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mbattlefisher/
Amazon author page: amazon.com/author/michelebattlefisher
Transhuman (working Title) webpage: Http://www.transhumandocumentary.com
Transhuman Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1813912155554321
Commentaries on transhumanism written by Michele: 1. https://impactethics.ca/2017/05/26/radical-technology-bodyhacking-medicine/amp/ 2.http://hipporeads.com/transhumanism-tech-entropy-and-fighting-for-a-future/
Subscribe and/or leave a rating and review on:
- iTunes: http://apple.co/1PjLmKh
- Subscribe on Stitcher: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/all-things-risk/the-all-things-risk-podcast
- Subscribe on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ben-cattaneo
92 episodes available. A new episode about every 9 days averaging 77 mins duration .