DLC is your weekly audio tour of the latest in video games and tabletop entertainment. Hosts Jeff Cannata and Christian Spicer are joined every week by the best damn gaming experts on the planet as well as YOUR phone calls! Disagree, Like, or Comment by Direct Live Call-in or in the Designated Lobby Chat! It is the gaming show Decided by Listener Contribution. DLC, the Digital Lifestyle Companion for gamers who Don't Like Cynicism. Hosted by Christian Spicer & Jeff Cannata.
Manage episode 240830905 series 73162
By Dawn H.. Discovered by Player FM and our community — copyright is owned by the publisher, not Player FM, and audio is streamed directly from their servers. Hit the Subscribe button to track updates in Player FM, or paste the feed URL into other podcast apps.
Subscribers! Be sure to go to the blog to read the description easier & check out links for this episode!
The Saturday Anime series continues with one of the most iconic anime (and manga) to ever be made: AKIRA! And with me to talk a bit about this massively influential franchise is new guest to the show Vrai Kaiser (they/them). Even with 2 hours to chat about Akira, we only manage to touch the tip of the iceberg on what makes this Katsuhiro Otomo classic so special. Listen as we discuss how we first saw this film far too young, how it appealed to more folks than just your typical anime fans, and why this 80s creation is a little too prophetic on how life in 2019 ended up being. Also in this episode: the premiere of my brand new opening theme!.....that you don’t hear until the end. (Whoops.)
Stream the episode above or [Direct Download]
Subscribe on itunes | Stitcher | Google Play | Spotify
- Watch Akira (dubbed) legally, free with ads in the US on Tubi!
- Watch Akira dubbed and/or subbed, legally & free with ads in the US on Anime Planet (via Hulu)!
- Buy the Akira bluray/DVD combo pack on Rightstuf or Amazon
- Buy the regular edition Akira manga on Rightstuf or Amazon
- Buy the limited edition 35th Anniversary Akira manga hardcover box set on Rightstuf or Amazon
- An Incomplete History of the Akira Bike Slide
- Mentioned in the episode: the essay “You Called for Me: Masculine Pain and Isolation in Akira” on the VRV blog
- Also mentioned on the episode: The Awaken Akira fan film, and the Project Akira fan film
- Follow Vrai on Twitter
- Listen to Vrai’s podcast, Trash & Treasures
- Find more of Kerobit’s music on InazumaKick.com!
Support the work I do on this podcast by leaving me a tip on Ko-fi! Want to have your name read in the special thanks segment on the next episode? All you need to do is buy me 2 or more “coffees” on Ko-fi!
As always, feel free to leave me your thoughts on this episode or ideas for future episodes here—or email me directly at AnimeNostalgiaPodcast@gmail.com.
Thanks for listening!