Manage episode 184412664 series 1282967
If you find yourself chasing shiny objects and squirrels all time, you should 💯 listen to this episode featuring Ozan Onay (President of Bradfield School of Computer Science) where we discuss his recent blog post entitled You Are Not Google which was the #1 link in Changelog Weekly - Issue #159. This show is full of wisdom and advice for every developer out there.
- GoCD – GoCD is an on-premise open source continuous delivery server created by ThoughtWorks that lets you automate and streamline your build-test-release cycle for reliable, continuous delivery of your product.
- Datadog – Cloud-Scale Monitoring — Monitoring that tracks your dynamic infrastructure and applications. Plus next-generation APM. Monitor, troubleshoot, and optimize end-to-end application performance. Start your free trial, install the agent, and get a free t-shirt!
- Bugsnag – Mission control for software quality! Monitor website or mobile app errors that impact your customers. Our listeners can try all the features free for 60 days ($118 value).
- Ozan Onay – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Jerod Santo – Twitter, GitHub, Website
Notes and Links
Before we get to the show note links, here are some notable quotes from this episode and Oz's post.
Software engineers go crazy for the most ridiculous things. We like to think that we’re hyper-rational, but when we have to choose a technology, we end up in a kind of frenzy — bouncing from one person’s Hacker News comment to another’s blog post until, in a stupor, we float helplessly toward the brightest light and lay prone in front of it, oblivious to what we were looking for in the first place. This is not how rational people make decisions...
Writing code isn't really about writing. Thinking is the thing that we do. Eventually that gets translated into running code.
This is a counter-force against the marketing machine of high opinion technologies.
As of 2016, Stack Exchange served 200 million requests per day, backed by just four SQL servers: a primary for Stack Overflow, a primary for everything else, and two replicas.
- You Are Not Google
- Changelog Weekly - Issue #159
- Bradfield School of Computer Science
- Cutting through to what matters
- How to teach yourself computer science
- Teach Yourself Computer Science
- Learn how computers work
- Learn every language
- Google Search for 'postgres paper'
- The Implementation of Postgres (paper)
- The Design of Postgres (paper)
- @loveapaper on Twitter
- All Things Open
295 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 67 mins duration .