Manage episode 307645250 series 2285741
Many people ask us about technical product marketing - the skills needed, the challenges, the career rewards - and how to work in those jobs. This week we explore what’s needed to be a successful technical product marketer.
CLOUD NEWS OF THE WEEK - http://bit.ly/cloudcast-cnotw
CHECK OUT OUR NEW PODCAST - "CLOUDCAST BASICS"
- Datadog Monitoring: Modern Monitoring and Analytics
Start monitoring your infrastructure, applications, logs and security in one place with a free 14 day Datadog trial. Listeners of The Cloudcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt.
- Juniper Networks – Experience-First Networking
- Learn more about Juniper’s cloud-native solutions
HOW DOES SOMEONE BECOME A TECHNICAL PRODUCT MARKETER
Is marketing just lies and double-speak? If a product or technology is great, does it even need marketing? These are the questions that people often ask themselves before exploring roles that have some aspect of “marketing” in their name.
WHAT SKILLS ARE NEEDED TO BECOME A SUCCESSFUL TECHNICAL PRODUCT MARKETER
- There are lots of different types of marketers - product-specific, go-to-market, regional, technical marketing, evangelist/advocate, etc.
- There is value in lots of different skills around marketing - technical, speaking, writing, critical listening
- The timeline of a marketer is somewhat different than a product manager. Both have to manage short and long-term. But marketing tends to be more focused on today’s problems/challenges/opportunities.
- Marketers have to understand the technology, but also how to translate it to business problems and business value.
- Marketers need to understand the difference between drills and holes.
- The role of marketing has significantly changed in the last few years. We’ve moved from more directed marketing to more automated and data-driven marketing.
- Email: show at the cloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet