Manage episode 226225483 series 2285741
Description: Aaron and Brian talk with Paul D. Johnston (@PaulDJohnston, Co-Founder ServerlessDays (creator of “Jeff”), CXO Serverless Consultant) about the current state of Serverless, Serverless vs. FaaS, how to economically think about functions of code, and areas where Serverless needs to improve.
Show Sponsor Links:
- Datadog Homepage - Modern Monitoring and Analytics
- Try Datadog yourself by starting a free, 14-day trial today. Listeners of this podcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt
- Liquid Technology - IT Value Recovery
- Try CloudLast Service, get a free t-shirt and chance at Amazon Gift Card
Cloud News of the Week
- IBM signs deal with Vodafone - https://newsroom.ibm.com/2019-01-17-IBM-Vodafone-Business-Join-Forces-to-Drive-Innovation-in-Rapidly-Changing-World
- IBM signs deal with Juniper - https://www.ibm.com/blogs/cloud-computing/2019/01/18/ibm-juniper-cloud-agreement/
- Travis CI acquired by Idera - https://blog.travis-ci.com/2019-01-23-travis-ci-joins-idera-inc
- Confluent, creators of Kafka, raised $125M in VC funding in a Round D, at a $2.5B valuation - https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkonrad/2019/01/23/open-source-unicorn-confluent-reaches-25-billion-valuation-three-years-after-hiring-its-first-sales-rep/#67d93c3315e2
- Microsoft buys Citus Data (open source Postgres SQL) - http://zd.net/2FQfF2v
Show Interview Links:
- Paul’s Blog - https://medium.com/@PaulDJohnston
- The ServerlessCast #6 - Event-Driven Thinking with Paul Johnson - http://www.thecloudcast.net/2017/05/the-serverlesscast-6-events-vs-functions.html
- ServerlessDays - https://serverlessdays.io/
Topic 1 - Happy New Year, hope you’re having a good 2019. It’s been a while since you were last on the show. As the creator of Jeff, what have you been up to lately?
Topic 2 - Let’s talk about a basic thing that seems to confuse people. What’s the new definition, or the actual difference (if there is any), between “Serverless” and “Functions as a Service”.
Topic 3 - I’ve seen you mention several times on Twitter that, “Few people really understand how powerful serverless can be. They focus on the wrong things.” Help us get focused on the important parts.
Topic 4 - I’ve also seen you say that “with serverless, infrastructure is a rounding error.” Walk us through the economics of your experiences with serverless, and how you think about “profitable software”.
Topic 5 - Why do you think it seems like so many of the other cloud offerings are so far behind AWS Lambda?
Topic 6 - At a high level, what is working well in serverless, and what is still complicated or missing? What’s your wishlist for 2019?
- Email: show at thecloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet and
441 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 32 mins duration .